gilleni Vs storri??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegirl

Reaction score
g'day all
well i've been hearing lots of good stuff about monitors lately and was at the newsagent the other day and saw the new reptiles australia mag.. i just happened to flip to the caresheet on storri's monitors... and i took it as a sign that i'm suppose to get some :) but storri's are on class 2 licence and i'm not able to get my class 2 licence for another year.. so i thought gillenis would be the next obvious choice..
so my choices are... i could wait a year an get some storri's or get some gillenis once i make my enclosures...
so now my question to you is.... are there any differences in husbandry, behaviour etc? pics of both would be great
and any other info you have on either sp. would be great too :)
also if you had the choice which would you get?
Cheers
Megz

Me thinks you will need to have had experience with class 1 monitors before parks will issue you with a class 2 lic

Personally I would put acanthurus before either of those if they are a first time monitor, that's not just because I am selling a trio :lol:
I honestly think they are the perfect small monitor.

hmm... what are other peoples thoughts on that... i was under the impression that you only had to have your class1 licence for 2 years then you could apply for a class 2 licence... how are the npwl going to know i'm getting a monitor anyway? i could be getting the class 2 for a kimberly bearded dragon (having already kept central bearded dragons for the past year)

yeah i thought about accies... ok add them to the list too then.. what are their requirements and behaviour like? i'll have to have a look in the forsale section then hey boa ;)

:lol: I'm serously not trying to steer you in the direction of a different animal but they really are great and as I said the ideal starter monitor.
Their requirements are as basic as can be, plenty of heat in the form of a heat lamp inches from a basking spot (that is universal across all the little monitors), a few safe hiding places for them in the form of narrow gaps where they can squeeze in and feel secure and lots of food.

Reptilegirl said:
yeah i thought about accies... ok add them to the list too then.. what are their requirements and behaviour like? i'll have to have a look in the forsale section then hey boa ;)

I haven't kept storrs or gillens, but I've had accies and they're great and very easy to look after.

Disclaimer: I was not payed by boa or anyone else to say this :wink:

Disclaimer: I was not payed by boa or anyone else to say this
sure sure ;)
so boa do you have any hatchies or juvies? and what price would i be looking at for a pair? i'm thinking $800 is a bit much for me ATM.. though that trio does look nice...
also what price for a pair of gilleni or storri's?
cheers
Megz

I don't have any young ones at the moment. The best I could do was the actual breeding pair for $600 which is a very good price. All the smaller monitors are roughly the same price.

Reptilegirl I know Boa and I am pretty sure we have the same home town. I am visiting family down there in June so I don't think bringing them down for you would be a problem.

** Also not paid by Boa...........................***** :)

thank you everyone..
at the moment i just dont have enough money (building enclosures) but boa i think you have won me over to the accies... i have seen some good looking photos of them lately.. next breeding season i'll get in contact with you boa and we'll take it from there... i'd prefer to get some youngens..
g's boa either you pay these fellas well or you must have some good reptiles... hehe maybe a bit of both ;)
thanx for the offer munkee... next time i may just take you up on it...
i'd love to see some more picks of accies.. so feel free to post em up :)
cheers
Megz
p.s boa how much do hatchies usually go for?

gilleni get my vote, in my opinion they're the best species for first time monitor keepers. People will probably accuse me of being biased because I breed a heap of them, but the reason I keep them and not ackies or Storr's is because I think they're the best of the three, and if I thought otherwise, I'd go straight out and get some of one of the other species. For beginners, the main advantage Gillen's have over ackies is that they're not prone to eating/killing each other, which is common in ackies (I know quite a few people who have experienced it, and it gets posted on reptile forums every now and again - you'll probably find stories and pictures if you search APS). Gillen's are great fun to watch, even though I see it every year, I still have a lot of fun watching the hatchlings playing together, and I'm still not sick of watching the antics of the adults. I haven't had a lot to do with Storr's, but they're not a bad species, and if you're lucky and manage to get ackies which get along well, they're not bad either. I'd definately recommend reading a goanna book or two before going any further.

Good luck :)

I love ackies, I'm hoping to get some next month if all goes to plan. The only reason really I like them more than gilleni is the colours, ackies seem to be much more vibrant in colour. Some ackies are pretty plain, but I'm getting some WA reds which are very pretty.

My other half has kept them in the past, but I never have had any experience with them. I was at someone's house the other day that breeds them and I found them really awesome. I had no idea a 'lizard' could be that active, after being used to dragons. They were running everywhere in the enclosure, sticking out their snake looking tongues.

Cross fingers I can get some soon. :D

Edit to Add: I just read the title of this thread and realized its storri vs gilleni, so sorry to go off topic, thought it was about ackies for some reason :roll:

I know it's been done a million times, but what would people reccomend as cage sizes (indoor) for ackies, gillens and storrs?
Does anyone here apart from Matt keep brevicauda?

i reckon 4 foot works good for pairs or even trios

and i want brevicauda but dont want to pay the amount asked hopefully they will come ddown in price

between the two gillens would be my choice as storrs can be very aggressive towards each other, where as gillen generally are more placid..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back