glass tank vs melamine or wood enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melm

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am looking into keeping a bearded dragon and was hoping someone could tell me the benefits in housing it in a melamine or wooden enclosure over a glass aquarium as originally I was going to buy a fish tank but after doing a bit of research it seems most people recommend a repltile enlcosure over a fish tank.

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

i think they are all fine, some people down south wouldn't use glass because of colder climate, glass dosen't hold heat as well as wood. i agree and would stick to a melamine/wooden enclosure. but i think in the northern half of aus, glass is fine. i use both types and both work well for me up here. just depends where you live i think.

what do you mean by 'cover 3 sides'??

lizards tend to try climb or walk thru the glass as they cant see it,it also depends on how often you like cleaning glass.

Hehe. I learnt that glass isn't really the best thing as an enclosure AFTER I bought 5 fish tanks. *blush*
Oh well. Modifications, heating and lots of natural stuff combined with a willingness to clean will make anything ok.

what do you mean by 'cover 3 sides'??

Hi Melm,

Perhaps i should of explained myself :p

I might be off the mark with this opinion, but......

I think covering three sides will make the animal feel more secure, less exposed, not so much a heat issue.

Also the usual width of fish tanks is kinda narrow, but it would be fine for alot of species i guess :)

Thanks for the replies. Cleaning glass doesn't bother me as I have 2 marine fish tanks but I have decided to go with one of Auslizardkings melamine enclosures.

Thanks again and wish me luck with my first reptile....well, it's supposed to be my 7yr old sons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back