Go forth and multiply!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scale_Addiction

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i want to know how often a pair of rats kept together should have a litter
(how long between each litter? and litter numbers?)
Cheers

if you keep the male with the female then she CAN get pregnant again straight after birth, just prior to the start of nursing. So thats about 3 1/2 weeks between litter.

Not sure how many back to back litters a female can sustain though

She will breed until she is around 3 years old, after that she's buggered, all worn out, stuffed, caput, shagged(literally), theres more but I'm not aloud to swear. Hope that's not an abreviation or anything.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you wanna sell any Mick, Slinky is still refusing frozen although we try every week and the damn live ones are expensive.

A young pair should breed every 21 days or so , wean the runners straight away or the afternoon before as they may kill or eat the new pinkies. The young rats should be ready to breed at about 6 weeks, give or take a week.
I would serious think about changing my breeders when they get over 1 year old as litter size and frequency drops dramatically.

So you keep them together all the time pike ? in a monogamous relationship ?
I love the way the males jump the females too :lol:

Runners = weaners = 3weeks old, most people class them as pinkies when they are born, fuzzies when they are a week old and starting to get fur, hoppers when they are 2 weeks old and their eyes open and they jump alot and runners when they are 3 weeks old and ready to wean. I usually keep 3 girls to a boy for mice and 2 girls to a male rat.

Go fourth and Multiply!

:lol: Dee4, shagged,caput etc matey uuuuurinated meself laughn!!! Whos that little trouble maker pikeo1, hope he gets attacked by a rogue toad. :twisted:

RE: Go fourth and Multiply!

I am in the process of setting my rats up. I am now starting to keep 1m and 3 f to a tub. Once settled they get a long like a happy little family. They are breeding quite rapidly atm and I hope they keep going like that. A couple of the males are a bit old so I have about 20 weaners coming through that I ma growing out for future breeders.

I get about 16 or so for a couple of the females, the worst being about 12, but she is a bit older than the others. I regularly get them giving birth every 3 weeks.

Yeah thanks oldfella, but not a chance, id just get out my golf club..er er i mean plastic bag to put him in the freezer

so what u saying is that u can keep male in with the young and he wont kill them

ohh and what is the easyest and humain way to dispach of rats for freezing

The male shouldnt kill them if theyre his, only if another rat has fathered them, there are exceptions though, and the most humane way to kill is breaking their necks, if your competant , or CO2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back