Gravid Beardie question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpant_Lady

Reaction score
Short story - Gravid beardie at the pet store, ilegal for pet shop to 'breed' although she came like that and so my partner and I like the sooks that we are bought her.

She is on sand substrate and has a laying box in with her 1/2 full of moist vermiculite. We have the incubator primed and ready to go as she looks like she is about to pop. She is also constantly digging test holes (that is when she is not basking). My question is how long will the eggs last in the sand as I have to work tommorow and there will be about a 4 hour gap when I cannot come home and check on her.

I have kept the sand fairly moist incase she does drop them in there and the basking light is set on 34C with a UV fluro tube.

Thanks everyone
From some very excited owners

If it wasnt for they problem of them trampling the eggs or eating them!,they could hatch in you tank so dont be too worried .....just DONT TURN THE EGGS! keep then same way up!

Just an update - afer an exhausting day of digging holes, basking and soaking in her water (I assume that takes the wight of the eggs off) we are still waiting excitedly for the event. Thanks DL we are going to be so careful I am actually dreading having to move them! Im sure this beardie is an old hand at this and is wondering what all the fuss is about. I am thinking tonight hopefully as she has been digginh for nearly 3 days. Looks like about 7 eggs.

Excited and anxious

you can roll the eggs around for a week with little effect, just be watch out with the ones stuck to the bottom. I highly doubt she will lay at night, egg laying usually takes place mid morning.

Oh ok. Will be watching then. We lined the tank with newspaper so we can just tear off the piece we need if it comes to it. Thanks for your help

Actually most lay mid afternoon till evening,all eggs have a air bubble at the top! dont roll them and my girl Adrian was digging for 22 days before the big event at 6pm. you wont believe it but she had 19 on her first attempt,and she wasnt well- she was calso gravid when i got her. A friend had a record amount of 59 but he didnt say if all survived.

digging for 22 days is way to long, by providing a better laying area you can cut it down to one or two days. Once they start test digging, they are ready to lay, you need to make them as stress free as possible and they will lay within days. Out of the thast 20 odd clutches of beardies I've had, around 80% laid between 10 - 12am, but it will depend alot on the heating you supply them

Well the happy event has occured. And we got to watch it all! The clever girl!!!!

The whole labour took about 30 minutes with a grand total of 13 eggs layed by 7.05pm and at the moment they all look fertile. However I am a little worried for mum as she is now extremely skinny - all ribs showing concave hollows above the pelvis etc but she is eating well so hopefully she will recover with some TLC. Plenty of fresh fruit and vege being offered (Including 2 leftover blueberries - Chris is 'encouraging' her to eat!) and crickets dusted with vitamin powder and calcium.

Thank you so much for everyones advice! Just a brief interest question - What is the average clutch size for the Pogona minor minor?

Going o go check on mummy and the eggs - again :D

depends if its her first clutch or if shes had a few b4..

first clutchs ive been told are around 10ish..

once they have had a few they can lay around 20.. but thats not saying they will all hatch :(

Actually most lay mid afternoon till evening,all eggs have a air bubble at the top! dont roll them and my girl Adrian was digging for 22 days before the big event at 6pm. you wont believe it but she had 19 on her first attempt,and she wasnt well- she was calso gravid when i got her. A friend had a record amount of 59 but he didnt say if all survived.

I heard you candle them to make sure the embryo is faced up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back