Green Alligator Lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the jungle chameleons"surprise surprise" they're everywhere in Madagascar herp paradise that place!I'm guessing the Alligator lizard is the same as the Kaiman lizard,gorgeous animals.Black racers and sand boas,yellow eyelash vipers and more...can't forget the albinoballs...there are certainly some crazy looking exotics that many would prefer to keep over a carpet or Oz lizard i'm sure if given the choice of a nice corn or leopard gecko instead...they're all here too but who'ss honestly going to ever find out exactly what's in the country they find tiger cubs and all sorts in small apartments all round the world,why not a komodo in someones yard and wouldn't even doubt marine iguanas and lots of other rare stuff,as if we or the aveerage herper is going to know alll this exists and the people who do certainly aren't as you can clearly see.

Someone could show me their whole collection of exotics if they liked i'd never lag em in!!

Without being nosey but i can't help myself...how did your friends legally import Iguanas unless they run a zoo?

Connections, connections my friend. If they are captive bred they are legal to deal in. I have been in a few places in my young career. Have been to Madagascar too!! Got the trip as a present from my grandma for finishing my 2 dgress in Zoology! There are quite a few reptile farms there, the best one is about 2km from the airport. Very little is captive bred though, mostly wild caught stock. A reptile on CITES 1 can be sold if they have all the paperwork of origin with them. If they are captive bred there is even less paperwork invoved!

So technically the same can be done with GTP's etc???Maybe ol pakobs wasn't taking a lend afterall :shock: So he imported and keeps them legally and privately????Interesting stuff and of course it's connections,same old story ,it's not always just what you know but who you know too :wink:

So all these places collecting and farming reptiles over there and elswhere such as PNG with IJ's etc are just full on raping and pillaging the native fauna and flaura at the same time...don't agree with it unless it's extremely controlled which i highly doubt???

Hey Browns, i dont think his friend is in oz,SA must mean South America, or South Africa

I is not from around here? Not really. Indonesia is one of the biggest breeders of CITES1 animals. They have the perfect climate for it. And there is a lot less red tape involved in it all. In madagascar the facilities are well oiled machines controlled by americans ,germans and the french. Things have improved a lot in the last 10 years or so, but i sure they still collect some animals from the wild. Most countries except australia is involved in the trade of wild animals. Mostly in a controlled manner. Funny enough some of the poorest quality animals i have worked with has been from the USA. Animals like chuckawallas, and collared lizards, big shipments of animals that were just riddled with disease and definately wild caught. And this is the country that makes such a big deal about conservation. This is just my own experiences though. I am sure Neil from NCherps might have a different opinion.

BROWNS said:
Without being nosey but i can't help myself...how did your friends legally import Iguanas unless they run a zoo?
BROWNS said:
So technically the same can be done with GTP's etc???Maybe ol pakobs wasn't taking a lend afterall So he imported and keeps them legally and privately????Interesting stuff and of course it's connections,same old story ,it's not always just what you know but who you know too

As Pike1 said, most likely SA means South Africa. Definitely not South Australia.

Only a zoo (or federally approved research facility) can legally import reptiles into Australia. And anything on CITES App.1 is a real pain. Taronga Zoo almost didn't get their elephants approved, that's how strict they are.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back