Green tree frog cage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah Amazing amazons is in Glen Waverly, I also recommend Coburg aquarium on Bell st and Upmarket pets next to the Vic market.

why not try ebay i picked up a 30x30x30 exo terra with backing with cabinet, light stand and light ($70 in the herp shop just for the stand) two globes, and very large 30 cm plus tweezers plus some other bits all for $60 and it looks like new, housed a tarantula for 3months.

yeah ebay is really good for enclosures, especially if they have other components as well, as buying parts individually can add up.

You could potentially just use a fish tank with a screen on the top.

Yeah ok thanks for that, i'm tossing and turning about getting a uv light, i've read you don't need them and that you do and if you do that they wont die so often but if its just an extra cost and they don't need it then i'm not sure.. I've got heat under control with an aquarium heater but Bigwilliestyles do you use a uv light? Pics of your cage and setup would be fantastic.

You can probably get away with not using UV if you are dusting prey with a calcium powder that contains vitamin D3. Personally I use a UV 5.0 light and dust once a week. :)

Ok, so if i dust the crickets everyday? Ill have to find out if it has D3 in it, that'd be good thanks a lot, going to amazing amazon in a hour or so to look at some cages. =)

You don't need to dust everyday, every 2nd or 3rd feed is fine.
Most calcium supplements do have D3 in, it is usually clearly labelled on the front.

I would get a dome lamp for a UV light. The frogs will enjoy the light, it will enhance their colours and if you have live plants they too will like it. If your a tightass like me, just search the auctions. I picked up a exo terra glow fitting for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Also you can just put the light on a timer so it wont be on all day. Just have it go on for a few hours of a day if you wish.

I will post some pics of my setup later.

Ok when getting a frog.. you need to concider the size the frog will become and where its located.. So GTF's come from the nothern pats of Australia, where there are more days of UV out put, so GTF's will need a UV light, either a 2.0 or a 5.0... and with the size, GTF's can get to the size of 10CM, so you need adequate space for a frog that will become that size. Heating should be done via an aquarium heater, this will maintain a steady heat gradient through day and night.. and with making a frog vivarium you should consider the frog will most likyl hide for the most part so a planted tank (Real or Fake) will be much better.. as the frog will be able to hide and feel much safer... feel free to check out my youtube account, as i have made some videos on frogs and also how to make a frog vivarium..
YouTube - JesseAKASlick's Channel
Cheers mate

Xavarx, were did you get that cage from in yours videos on how to make the background. And also i know gtf's have sensitive skin so will the peat moss background be ok?

Xavarx, were did you get that cage from in yours videos on how to make the background. And also i know gtf's have sensitive skin so will the peat moss background be ok?

I got the vivarium for a pet store in Frankstone in Vic.. yeah the peat moss is fine with Green Tree's, i have my Green Tree's with a peat moss background.. make sure you get a one with no fertilisers, ones that come in a brick form usually have no fertilisers :)
Cheers

Thanks for that, how much was the cage, and whats the shop called? Im looking around for a cage but cant find a good price. Would a 30 by 30 by 45cm tall be ok for 1 gtf adult? thanks.

Thanks for that, how much was the cage, and whats the shop called? Im looking around for a cage but cant find a good price. Would a 30 by 30 by 45cm tall be ok for 1 gtf adult? thanks.

The vivarium was $200, the shop is called bunarong aquarium (www.bunarongaquarium.com.au).. No 30 cm by 30 cm by 45 cm tank is not big enough.. you would want to look at my a tank my size which is about 60 cm 60 cm by 70, or somthing close to that size, are you located in Victoria?

$200, the shop is called bunarong aquarium (www.bunarongaquarium.com.au). No 30 by 30 by 45 is not big enough for a green tree.. yo would want to look at somthing at the size of 60 by 60 by 70, which is about the same size at the tank in the video.... are you from Victoria?

lol no probs, thanks for your help, atm i'm looking at a 45 by 45 by 60 =) and that should be right for 1.

lol no probs, thanks for your help, atm i'm looking at a 45 by 45 by 60 =) and that should be right for 1.
well i guess but i personally i would just get one Green Tree frog, i like to have mine in atleast pairs or 3's so you might want to go for a little bigger tank.. are you located in Victoria?

yes i'm located in vic, i would love to get 2 or 3 and i'm happy to buy an even bigger cage but if they're males can they fight for dominance? And if they are male and female i don't want them to overbreed and also i don't want thousands of tadpoles lol and i guess i could get 2 females but i wanna get babies at the expo and i'm not sure if you can tell sex so young. Im in Eltham, vic

Your worrying too much. They arent particularly aggressive, and only if the conditions are just right will they breed.

2 frogs will be fine in a 60 by 45

lol i guess when i think about it i cant see fat frogs being aggressive at one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back