Green Tree Froggy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a related note, went down to a local creek / suburban drain today to catch some live fish for our new baby turts. Now before anyone goes off at me, I am talking the exotic "pest" variety commonly known as 'guppies' (not the kind you buy in an aquarium shop) and again in case anyone is thinking this is all I am feeding the turtles, no, giving them plenty of variety with turtle starter dinners, blood worms and freshwater plants. Now, back to the reason for my post. While collecting the guppies, happened to scoop up a tadpole. I had my sons with me and thought this would be educational and been googling to find out what sort it might be (and hoping not a cane toad). Anyway, I believe it is legal to keep a tadpole for the purpose of education to watch the metamorphis (metamorphasis?) from tadpole to frog. I'm in Qld. Can anyone confirm? I thought topical around this time of year and especially with all the unusual rain we've been having in Qld lately - good breeding weather. Cheers, Lauren.

Here's a frog that I rescued from the dog the other week.:rolleyes: I did relocate to the front of the house away from the dog.
Frog.jpg

On a related note, went down to a local creek / suburban drain today to catch some live fish for our new baby turts. Now before anyone goes off at me, I am talking the exotic "pest" variety commonly known as 'guppies' (not the kind you buy in an aquarium shop) and again in case anyone is thinking this is all I am feeding the turtles, no, giving them plenty of variety with turtle starter dinners, blood worms and freshwater plants. Now, back to the reason for my post. While collecting the guppies, happened to scoop up a tadpole. I had my sons with me and thought this would be educational and been googling to find out what sort it might be (and hoping not a cane toad). Anyway, I believe it is legal to keep a tadpole for the purpose of education to watch the metamorphis (metamorphasis?) from tadpole to frog. I'm in Qld. Can anyone confirm? I thought topical around this time of year and especially with all the unusual rain we've been having in Qld lately - good breeding weather. Cheers, Lauren.

You can post the pic on this forum for i.d: http://frogs.org.au/community/
Here is an overview of each states laws, it would appear it would be illegal, but you best option would be to rind your department:
http://frogs.org.au/arc/legal.html

Just because its legal it does not make it right. Its quite clear that the Frog's best interest has been completely disregarded and I truely hope that one day MissB realises exactly what effects keeping wild animals have on not only the surrounding environment but also on the animals themselves.

miss b
imo, get another one, have a large frog pond built with heaps of plants and logs and a compost heap near the pond, breed em and help the frogs grow in the area. talk to your neighbours, they might be interested and you might be able to get them a frog pond, talk to the council, and ask for alot of money and tell them what your doing and then get 3-4 ponds around the area, one in your yard and others in other peoples yards...you may get them loving tree frogs. its worth a try!!!

everyone: im waiting on enclosure pics :D casue i love them:rolleyes:

Luke

Whats the go with everyone jumping on MissB? Its not illegal to keep it AND its her partners frog, not hers! :rolleyes:
Clearly no conflict with licencing rules here people.......

Keeping frogs in QLD

I have hundreds of frogs I keep on my property, I don't have a licence because they are all wild and living happily around my house, ponds, landscaped property.

Frogs are a creature of habit they will try to go back to the place they slept the day before ie your toilet bowl or my watering can or the next doors roof gutter and they will head off each night to find their food and water, someone's pond or bird bath. When you take a wild frog away from it's area it becomes stressed because it doesn't know where it's food is or water and will possibly become ill. Frogs sleep during the day and hunt and breed at night so if you want to keep frogs put in a pond with some plants and logs around same as the guy in the post above saids, go out during the early evening and you will see frogs all around your pond and in the near by area.

There is no reason for keeping a wild frog unless it is ill and you know how to treat it !

Cheers Lawrence

Well, that's just your opinion.

The frog is doing fine, she comes and sits in her big water dish every night and waits for my partner to hand-feed her some woodies.

When i lived in Sydney I saved frogs off my property when it dried out and kept them till they died.
i had a slim tall rock leaning on the side of a big deep bowl poking out of the water and the rest was water.
it might eat some grasshoppers/locuss or what ever there called

i believe certain species approved by the epa are allowed to be kept with out a license. i think there are some frog species that can be kept. in Giru we have hundreds of them on our porch

i have a green tree frog and its HEKTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its full green and all. like it eats green things too. so thats why its green. greens a greatttt colour. i love internet forums. goshhhh

LUVYAZZZZZZZZZZZ
melisssssssssa
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back