Green Tree Froggy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys :D

Lars - thank you! :D 8) I had a feeling you'd like her!

It's a rather cute little thing. It would be great if we found a male to pair her with, and could then release a whole bunch of little baby frogs into the garden. I'd love to have more GTF's around the place.

Yay for froggys!

ive got a greentree female who hangs out with me while im on the computer

you will love keepin frogs miss b,i bet you get more actually

Last time i checked several other species are open for w/c collecting.
Maybe your partner would like the entire set.

Gee Miss B how could a hardened criminal like you not know what a QC is.........;)

Cute frog. Better order more crickets.

Last edited:
Lol Isis.

Aust - which other species? You may be right. He might like the whole set. He seems rather smitten by frogs all of a sudden. In fact, I think he likes the frogs even more than our beardies. I can't for the life of me figure out why :rolleyes: :lol:

Hi,
Nice frog. What i think would be good karma would be to catch or get another one then breed them and release all the froglets in a suitable nearby place :)

The law seems very confusing and especially confusing as different states have different laws. Can someone please tell me a website where i can get info on license and laws please?

http://frogs.org.au/arc/legal.html

Lol Isis.

Aust - which other species? You may be right. He might like the whole set. He seems rather smitten by frogs all of a sudden. In fact, I think he likes the frogs even more than our beardies. I can't for the life of me figure out why :rolleyes: :lol:

You can keep most common species, if you collect from your own property.
My sister kept a Ornate Burrowing frog for a while made
a pretty average captive though.

Yay for froggys!
ive got a greentree female who hangs out with me while im on the computer
Mate.....we keep telling yer.... it wont change into a princess....no matter how many times you kiss it! ;):lol:

Not many close calls with snakes, birds or anyone else who wants frog for dinner.
My god....the french visit australia too!!;)

I heard Miss B was taken from the wild, now she's been acclimatised & house trained shes just fine.....no licence needed either !

Nice find Miss B, bet your out at night looking for more now;):lol: (Daddy...theres a strange lady in our garden with a tourch!!)

Ok, look, I know what the laws say, and that's all fine and dandy, but no one seems to have the best interests of the frog in their head.

It's probably not eating because it's suddenly been taken from the wild, a place that it knows and has done all its life, and has suddenly been thrown into a cramped (compared to freedom), confined space where it can't get out.

I'm not trying to sound callous, but Miss B, when you said something along the lines of "Let it go? But why? It's not illegal.", or whatever was said, it made you sound selfish and uncaring.

Why not let it go? Set up a pond in your backyard, and attract frogs, but don't try to keep them confined. It's not natural to them, and it's been known to stress and (if it's severe enough) kill them. Doesn't that sound cruel to you?

I have absolutely nothing against you, and certainly nothing against owning frogs (Even I want some, eventually), but captive-bred frogs, not wild ones. You could buy some frogs, ones that have lived their entire lives in an enclosure, and enjoy them.

Whether someone has a licence or not is irrelavant, people shouldn't take native animals from their yards and try to keep them. And (I'm not saying you're not able to) sometimes people don't even know how to look after them correctly, and end up killing them.

Laws or not, it shouldn't be done.

Ok, look, I know what the laws say, and that's all fine and dandy, but no one seems to have the best interests of the frog in their head.

It's probably not eating because it's suddenly been taken from the wild, a place that it knows and has done all its life, and has suddenly been thrown into a cramped (compared to freedom), confined space where it can't get out.

I'm not trying to sound callous, but Miss B, when you said something along the lines of "Let it go? But why? It's not illegal.", or whatever was said, it made you sound selfish and uncaring.

Why not let it go? Set up a pond in your backyard, and attract frogs, but don't try to keep them confined. It's not natural to them, and it's been known to stress and (if it's severe enough) kill them. Doesn't that sound cruel to you?

I have absolutely nothing against you, and certainly nothing against owning frogs (Even I want some, eventually), but captive-bred frogs, not wild ones. You could buy some frogs, ones that have lived their entire lives in an enclosure, and enjoy them.

Whether someone has a licence or not is irrelavant, people shouldn't take native animals from their yards and try to keep them. And (I'm not saying you're not able to) sometimes people don't even know how to look after them correctly, and end up killing them.

Knowing what Miss B is like with her animals you are sooooo far from wrong. She always has the animals best interest as her main priority.

Thank you Isis <3

notechistiger said:

The person wasn't saying, "Let it go for it's own good", they were saying I should let it go and then get the appropriate permit in order to harvest frogs from the wild. My point was, there is no need to let it go and obtain a permit because it is perfectly legal to remove them from the wild without a permit or licence.

notechistiger said:

Green Tree Frogs are known for being extremely well-adapted to life in captivity.

notechistiger said:

Who said it wasn't eating? I know I didn't.

notechistiger said:
And (I'm not saying you're not able to) sometimes people don't even know how to look after them correctly, and end up killing them.

That's true, yes. But I'm not some 8-year-old kid who has caught a frog and stuck it in a cardboard shoe box and tried to feed it peanut butter. I'm obviously trying to do the right thing and find out the correct setup for the frog.

Seeing as you don't like to see native animals removed from the wild and forced to live out their days in captivity, are you also opposed to the sale of wild-caught snakes?

Moreliaman said:
I heard Miss B was taken from the wild, now she's been acclimatised & house trained shes just fine.....no licence needed either !

Nice find Miss B, bet your out at night looking for more now;):lol: (Daddy...theres a strange lady in our garden with a tourch!!)

:oops: :lol:

This was our "pet" frog Gilbert, that use to live at our place in random places like our shoes for like 3 yrs when we moved out there and then he never came back one season...:cry: He was massive and awesome!!!

Cris...got any ideas how old he was???

Attachments

• Gilbert.jpg
    Gilbert.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
there are heaps of green tree frogs at my mum's place in Gympie, I'm the only one who will touch them if they come inside and need to be put back outside. When we renovated the bathroom a few years back there were SEVENTEEN of them inside the wall cavity between the shower and the wall, they got in through some little gap somewhere. As no one else in my family will touch them I moved all of them safely outside.

We still sometimes get one or two that manage to find their way into the shower. Lol. So cute.

I'm siding 100% with the above post.

Sure this frog will probably be cared for.
Sure it will probably survive.
Sure it will most likely eat.
But is it really ever going to thrive?

This frog is used to freedom, no handling and a almsot unlimited variety of foods. Now he will be condoned to an enclousure that will be physically restricting, foods fed when Miss B finds the time, not when the frogs wnats, a life of handling and people oogling at it. Is that really what you want? Why not fork out the $100 if the frog is really wanted and buy one on licence that is used to a life in captivity. Lets think about the frog here, not our wants. :)

HmmmB let it go so the neighbours cat or dog can eat it oe ther feral kids next door to you squish it........

It's illegal to keep wild frogs if you have a reptile and amphibian license.
in qld if its found on your property you can keep it as long as it remains on the property i think

Its illegal to take wildlife such as reptiles and amphibians from any state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back