Green Tree Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody in here who can tell us all the ins and outs of breeding Tree Frogs please? Do we need to have a license in SA to do this? Cheers Cheryl

Reptile licenses do not cover frogs in NSW.You need to get a frog license. I am not sure of the set up in SA but it is probably the same.

could be diff cos in vic the licences cover birds, amphibians, reptiles and mammals

it costs a fair bit to rasie the tadpoles to frog size, just with feeding and stuff like that.........that is what a frog breeder told me, so i am only going on what he said

I have successfully bred the White Lipped Tree Frog a few times, also known as the Australian Giant Tree Frog. They are expensive to raise and can also be a bit awkward to feed a couple of hundred metamorphs :) They are fairly easy to breed though and I don't think you need a license in S.A. but don't hold me to that :)

well i know u dont need a permit to keep green tree frogs here cheryl, but can ask my friend he breeds green tree frogs and hes 15 so i guess its realtivly easy, so ill just give him a cool later and ask if he has a personal caresheet for ya.

Hi Cheryl, I can?t exactly tell you how to breed them; I?d imagine it?s straightforward. I?d also imagine there would be temperatures you?d have to achieve for this to happen (sorry, no idea). I raised a stack of Green Tree frogs from eggs but never bred them as such. I released a lot of the ones that were a year or so older back into the local stream etc. Being originally from Queensland I didn?t have to worry about heat lights and temps, so I suppose I should be exempt from this topic. The frogs hibernated naturally and I only fed them when they were awake from hibernation. Come to think of it, I didn?t even have a license (I don?t think frogs were a common pet back then). You can feed the tadpoles your typical gold fish type food. The froglets are a bit tricky though, I used to feed them with insects (mainly mosquitoes) on toothpicks (of all things) until they were old enough to take bigger things out by themselves. I?ve seen people feeding them crickets etc and that?s fair enough, I think they are easy enough to breed in bulk, but my main pet frog (the one which started all the madness) I had for the best part of 14 yrs (the folks killed it accidentally) only ate moths, occasionally cockroaches, and bugs. Buy yourself an outdoor light (preferably a metal halide one that?s cheaper to run) and you?ll have bugs and moths coming out of your ears. It could be rather busy trying to feed the amounts your talking about though. There?s my two bobs worth, it?s been a long, long time since I?ve had recent experiences with them, but I found them rather hardy ? good luck! ? Luke.

Give 'em the right conditions, i.e. temperature and a simulated rainy season and they'll pop 'em out for you alright :) at the rate of about 3,500 eggs per clutch :) Don't over clean their water as their food holds more nutrition for them second time around :)

Any time we have salvaged frog eggs, we have kept them fighting fit on a diet of boiled lettuce leaves until they have developed legs and released them most times where we collected them from. With the rising costs of a head of lettuce these days, you could be shelling out the pennies. :lol:

Rina said:
Any time we have salvaged frog eggs, we have kept them fighting fit on a diet of boiled lettuce leaves until they have developed legs and released them most times where we collected them from. With the rising costs of a head of lettuce these days, you could be shelling out the pennies. :lol:

Rina, how on earth did you find out about using boiled lettuce leaves? I've heard of cabbage leaves for breast feeding mothers but this sounds nuts lol. I'm definately not having a shot at you or anything, I imagine the taddies eat the lettuce that scums on the water surface, am I right?

As for the cabbage leaves for breast feeding mothers, believe me when I say when I had a couple of these whacked on me straight out of the freezer(yep the hospital apparently keeps up a ready supply) it was like heaven on earth :lol: .

As for where the tip about the lettuce leaves came from, a friend who works as a wildlife keeper recommended it and the frog hospital up here also recommends this as a diet also. The lettuce leaves after being boiled breaks down readily which also gives the taddies something to forage on the bottom of their container too.
Regards Rina

Ah, now I know how to play with your mind! Beware. :twisted:
Regards Rina

Beleive me, if you have lots of new breastfeeding mums in your neighbourhood this paricular party could be quite a success. After childbirth, a lot of the ole modesty goes out the window and you could quite possibly be the blushing one though Africancichlidau. :lol:
Regards Rina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back