Green Tree Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, now I think you are telling fibs somehow!
Regards Rina

Boiled lettuce is a sold as the hills.
I hope you didnt release tadpoles in any areas otehr than where you collected then Rina.
There are very strict protocols for frogs that we should all adhere to. This is because of chytrid fungus.
Do not follow them can result in wiping out frog populations in an area. Not having a go at you by the way.
Peter

Nope to be honest, haven't done this very often, more often than note just as a point of interest for the kids.
As a school project for my daughters class, I collected some white lip eggs out our pond, and her class hatched them, raised them and released them. The class built an absolute superb habitat and invited a vet who is also the preseident of the Wildlfe society up here to come in and view their activities and give info and the local television station and newspaper came and did a piece on the kids all resplendant in their green face paint releasing the frogs.
So no I do understand what you are saying and we are extremely aware of the fragile state our froggy friends are in. Did people also know that using water directly out of the tap is not adviseable but rather fill your container you intend to use and let it stand outside for 24 hours.
Regards Rina

lettuce in the water, it is only food for the tadpoles, not the frogs, frogs will need insect food items

Snakehunter is right Cheryl. After boiling the lettuce briefly just place them on top of the water. The taddies will devour it and particles will also sink, giving them something to forage on the bottom. As for the water, letting the water stand is more for water that comes out of a town supply source.

Regards Rina.(p.s For all that were able to decipher the atrocious typo's in my last post, Very Good Guys. Sorry!) :oops:

I used endive for the Whities and they loved it, but as I said earlier it has more value for the taddies the second time they eat it.

So Africa, we have an ex double door drink fridge(glass doors). Do you think this would be ok to breed the Green Tree Frogs in Please? What do you think is the best subtrate to put on the floor.? Lighting, heating etc? We have been in touch with Mike Tyler at Adel. Uni. but everyone reckons he cheats cos he injects frogs with hormones to make em breed hey? I think it would be better if we can manage it naturally? We just need a bit more input re lighting and heating, thermostats etc. What are the best sort of plants to put in? Should we lightly bleach any wood products(branches etc) we put in the enclosure to get rid of any bugs etc. We know that any plants we buy need to have all the potting soil washed off the roots etc., but what should we use for the plants to grow in afterwards.? Maybe, you could email us some destructions.? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Cheryl n Dave. PS Also any caresheets etc, would be welcome.

rodentrancher said:
Do you put the boiled lettuce leaves in the water, or on a dry area please Rina? Cheers Cheryl PS Is it ok to use untreated irrigation water???

Allowing the lettuce to soak a few days in water encourages a colony of microscopic insofuria that the taddys feed on. they do also feed on decayed plant matter .

rodentrancher said:
So Africa, we have an ex double door drink fridge(glass doors). Do you think this would be ok to breed the Green Tree Frogs in Please? What do you think is the best subtrate to put on the floor.? Lighting, heating etc? We have been in touch with Mike Tyler at Adel. Uni. but everyone reckons he cheats cos he injects frogs with hormones to make em breed hey? I think it would be better if we can manage it naturally? We just need a bit more input re lighting and heating, thermostats etc. What are the best sort of plants to put in? Should we lightly bleach any wood products(branches etc) we put in the enclosure to get rid of any bugs etc. We know that any plants we buy need to have all the potting soil washed off the roots etc., but what should we use for the plants to grow in afterwards.? Maybe, you could email us some destructions.? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Cheryl n Dave. PS Also any caresheets etc, would be welcome.

Dont bleach anything or use any chemicals at all in yopur froggy hab, their extremly sensitive to chems and absorb through their skin readily. uv lighting 2.o reptisun no stronger[flouro tube] good ventilation. substrate is usually water [dechlorinated] few inches on the bottom heated by a aquarium heater to 25 deg. airated with a small filter, will keep humidity just so. you can use a live potted plant [houseplant] but be sure to repot it first after really cleaning the roots well{fertilisers] and put in new soil. you could stand the plants pot on a rock above the water line so as not to water log it. As for heat it depends on where you are, in cooler weather a small lamp with low wattage globe {40watt] hung above one side will do, gental warmth, not to close. you cant really use a thermostat because your frog tank will need a mesh lid of some kind, to allow plenty of ventilation, so a probe thermostat would be useless. people use fake rock platforms attached to the tank wall for frogs to rest on and for insect dinners. hope this helps. cheers. p.s. if you use the fride be sure to create lots of ventilation.
here is a pic of typical frog tank
http://www.spooble.com/frogtank.php
http://www.allaboutfrogs.org/info/housing/arbtank.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back