Greeting from Griffith

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Hi guys,
just a quck note to say I'm in Griffith this week, and have been doing a bit of herping. urrently I'm camping next to two lakes (actually a flooded gypsum(?) mine) and they are full of snake-snake tortises and the magnificent C.expansa(spelling?). Unfortunatly there is a cause way between the two lakes and large numbers of tortises try and cross it. Tortises have an extra problem when trying to cross the road, if you miss the animal, the car freaks it and it retreats into its shell, providing a target for the next car. There are heaps of broken shells on the side of the road, infact 99% of roadkill in this area is tortises :( . I now stop and help them cross the road when sighted
The C.expansa is a huge tortoise, its like a snake-neck but has a shell length of about 30 cm and a huge head. Total length would be about half a meter. I have heaps of photos and will post them ASAP ( currently I'm in a youth hostel using a grotty computer in the internet cafe. The keyboard is such that I will wash my hands as soon as I finish :( ).
Also photoed a young P.barbarta with purple patchs on its legs and belly, possibly dyed?). Again photos to be posted ASAP.
Also went for a drive though a state forest in wet conditions, no herps but heaps of giant cockroaches sighted. And goats :(
Anyhow, enough of this internet stuff, I'm going to disenfect myself

Good to hear from you Fuscus. Glad you're enjoying yourself and look forward to seeing the piccies.

Incidentally - they're all turtles, there are no tortoises native to Australia.

:p

Hix

Hey Mark! Glad to see that your van made it to Griffith mate. Hope you didn't have any probs with it? Any work over that way? The Brissie Coastal has eaten! Yeehaa!! 3/one dayold chicks. Better than nothing I guess. Called him Monty for want of anything better. I warmed him up a bit more, gave him a run outdoors. He had all the Baytril jabs required for the course. I'll wait till he has a poop and try him with a rat. Might have to do the dunking in chicken stock trick eh? Stay in touch, and keep me and Dave posted on how you r going ok? Oh, and by the way you left behind the feet/stand for your white fan. Bugga! Cheers Cheryl

Woah Miss Australia what a hottie!!! :D :D :D

Wicked looking eyeball :p

Hix,- correct me if Im wrong, but in the true defination of things arent our freshwater turtles really terapins,

hay it's the travelling herper, mate so close to doing what you are right know, hope its all going well, take care and great photos by the way.

Marc

Rob,

As I understand it, the only terrapin in Australia would be the Red-eared Slider. The word is a commonly used name for a variety of North American species belonging to the family Emydidae (and possibly a few others).

Tortoises have clubbed feet, high domed shells and eat primarily vegetation. If they went into the water (apart from a puddle) they would sink.

Freshwater Turtles have clawed, webbed feet, are carnivorous, and are excellent swimmers.

Sea Turtles have paddles and are marine.

However, I should point out that my understanding of chelonian taxanomy - and naming - is rudimentary and Expansa1 would probably be able to go into far more detail for you.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back