Greg Maxwell Retires,sad day

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

links

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This was posted today on http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/topic/11787

Dear fellow chondroheads,

I have some important news to share with you at this time. I have made the decision to sell my business and retire as a breeder of pythons. This has not been an easy decision to make, and I will explain some of the reasons that have contributed to my decision.

My passion for green tree pythons remains as strong as it was at the beginning, but my energy to continue driving and building the business end of things has waned in recent months. For over ten years my life has consisted of developing my web site, founding and administrating the ChondroWeb Forums, spending several hours a day answering mail, as well as photographing animals and making family portraits, writing two books, editing and graphic design layouts for other authors, writing articles, and traveling to several countries and many states giving talks. I've performed all of these activities while caring for an ever-increasing collection that includes 50-100 babies annually. Most all of this has been a labor of love, but one that took 10-12 hours a day, six days a week and 6 hours on most Sundays. To be frank, I am burned out on the business end and can no longer put my heart into it. If I am no longer willing to put 100% into things, it is time to leave and in a way that reflects well on what I have accomplished. Too many people wait until they can't take another day and then bail out. I don't want to do that.

The second reason for the sale is that I have a buyer. It has always been my long-term goal to sell the business at some point, and that time came into focus for me when I was approached recently by Andrew Kelley. When you have put your heart and soul into something the way I have with my chondros, you want to pass that on to someone who is both able and willing to carry on the tradition of excellence… someone who understands what fine green tree pythons are all about. I am convinced that Andrew is one of those persons, and the time was right for both of us to make this emotional and important change in our lives.

There are a few other factors that went into the decision, including my recent cardiac health issues that mandated changes in lifestyle and diet, all of which takes time that I don't have available while running my business in the way I have in the past. I also want to be able to travel at will, something that is difficult with a large collection and active business. All in all, it turned out to be the 'perfect storm' for me to sell at this time.

Andrew has purchased a substantial group of animals from me, including the calico, blue, blue-melanistic, and Dream line projects. He has also purchased some of my cages and equipment, as well as the FineGTPs domain and email address.

I will be selling all of my remaining animals and cages. Some very nice animals remain and details will be made available soon. My remaining cages will also be sold. Anyone who may be interested in these can email me to get on the notification list. Animals will be offered to all on the list before any public sales ads are placed.

As a part of my retirement as a chondro breeder, I will no longer be available to answer questions about chondros. I know that not everyone will agree with this decision. Please understand that for over ten years I have been one of the most accessible breeders in the world and have spent thousands of hours answering virtually every email and question I have received. I am going to be more involved with my kids and grandkids, travel, and other things that I have not been able to do for a long time. I feel that if I answer some mail then I need to answer all mail, and I can no longer do that. Making a clean break is the best thing for me so thanks for your understanding. Please understand that I do intend to stay in touch with friends and I will be sending out a private email address to those who are friends. At some point soon, all [email protected] mail will be going to Andrew. Of course, all current 2009 sales and business will be handled by me exactly as it has been for years.

One last piece of business: Autographed copies of The More Complete Chondro will still be available directly from me. I have retained all the rights to the books and they are not a part of the sale. A link to purchase books will remain on the web site after Andrew takes it over, which will be soon.

I would like to ask the community to support Andrew and his animals in the future as you consider making high end purchases. I've spent quite a bit of time with him over the last month and I feel very good about his approach to things. His facility is top notch and his dedication to these animals is evident. Certainly he is his own man and his success will be determined by his customer service and quality, the same way mine has been. He won't be doing his best impression of me (nor should he) but rather he will build on what I have done, just as I built on what those before me did. You can expect to see the very best in designer GTPs from Andrew and I assure you that he will take care of you after the sale.

Words cannot express how fulfilling it has been to work with this species for the last fifteen years, thirteen of them as a breeder and eleven of them as a full time commercial breeder. I am proud of all that I have accomplished, and what I have built upon the foundation of those who came before me. I have stood on the shoulders of giants and from the vision of that vantage point have helped to lead a new generation of keepers and breeders into the joys of GTP success. I now look forward to the next chapter of my life, and I also look forward to talking with you on a social level in the future.

All my best,

Greg Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back