Grooves on head

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What are the grooves at the back of the mouth used for? Are they heat sensors?

The grooves in the side of the face are heat sensors yes, they help locate the body heat of prey in low light conditions in conjuction with tasting the air with tongues, allow the python to zero in on its prey. Sight movement also plays its part.
A very nice looking python you have there too! :)

Cheers when i was deciding to get a snake alot of people said the jungles were snappy but she is just a dream to handle and stays on display and loves the camera

Each individual heat pit has a thin layer of skin, and under this skin are many nerve endings that are very sensitive to heat. But scent plays a big part in it as well or else pythons would perhaps strike at anything that gives off heat.As you've probably noticed, they also have pits under and around their nostrils. I believe that these work in combination with the pits along the bottom lip to help not only detect prey, but to determine the distance between the prey and itself etc. Just my opinion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back