GTF needs help, its keeper won't listen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziepythons

Reaction score
There is a cafe local to me which has a green tree and graceful tree frog on display. Amazingly, graceful tree frog is yet to be eaten by its much larger cage mate. Besides this, the cage bottom is in an inch of water, the entire cage is saturated and there is no dry spot for them. When I politely suggested to the owner that a water bowl is better because all that water isn't good for them as they need a dry place, she barked that they had lived like that for over a year and were therefore fine. The green tree frog was hiding inside a half submerged log and looked black in colour. When I suggested she keep an eye out for infections (they get horrible ones when they don't properly dry out), she walked away. I understand these cafe workers are not herpetologists, but when some advice is given by someone who is being polite and helpful who seems to know their stuff, being rude isn't going to help the frogs. What do I do? Leave a frog care booklet, or just leave them to die?

Report them and insist on a report progress notification. If the fauna authorities say "we don't do that", tell them that's fine you're now going to the media with the story. (they will move fast)
No mercy with arrogant, ignorant people like that.

hey ozzie
u did a good deed ,people like u should be praised.i would be leaving her a care sheet and then tell somone about it ,for the animals sake.

Thanks guys, it helps to have some feedback. The thing is frogs are not protected in SA, at least not in a keeping sense (two rare species are from wild collection). So no legal obligation exists. I'm a reptile co-ordinator for a wildlife rescue service, so was thinking of going back as a representative and offering advice in a diplomatic and professional manner (there is a proper way of going about these issues), such as a brief husbandry synopsis and a care sheet... pending the owner will listen.

Thanks guys, it helps to have some feedback. The thing is frogs are not protected in SA, at least not in a keeping sense (two rare species are from wild collection). So no legal obligation exists. I'm a reptile co-ordinator for a wildlife rescue service, so was thinking of going back as a representative and offering advice in a diplomatic and professional manner (there is a proper way of going about these issues), such as a brief husbandry synopsis and a care sheet... pending the owner will listen.
so u dont need a licence in SA to keep a green tree frog ?

good luck with that ozzie hope all goes well....

Nope its a free for all over here as far as frogs go, but this ease of keeping backfires when someone does this type of thing and can get away with it

Nope its a free for all over here as far as frogs go, but this ease of keeping backfires when someone does this type of thing and can get away with it
bugger , there must be someone who could give the owners a bit of a scare to do things right .

I think the frog may be alright in those conditions, it's the tree snake I would worry about - it's not an aquatic species. Is it legal in SA to display snakes without permit?

Yeah its just a green tree and graceful tree frog, no snakes involved

So no legal obligation exists. I'm a reptile co-ordinator for a wildlife rescue service.

There is a legal obligation that comes under the "duty of care" section as defined by animal welfare act in your state. As a co ordinator for wildlife rescue I would assume that the RSPCA would listen to your concerns and at your request send an officer to discuss the subject with the owner. Goodluck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back