Gtp problem?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibbyt

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a yearling gtp female approx 7 months ago from one of the well known breeders about. In the last 5 months she has developed lumps along her spine about 5 inches long upwards from her vent( I cannot upload pic but will keep trying). The breeder informs me he has had other complaints and he also has 2 that have same problem( not her parents). He does not know what is causing this. I have never handled her or my others, she is housed and fed exactly like the rest and they have no issues. I believe its genetics. He says I can breed her no problem but I do not want to pass bad genes along if thats the issue. Do any fellow gtp owners know what this could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks J

Does it feel like bone underneath the lumps? They could be spinal kinks which can be caused due to genetics or from problems after birth (improper probing, mishandling etc).

It feels and looks like bone, its strange that it just appeared and is continuing to worsen?

It could be a spinal kink from incorrect incubating temperatures. I have a snake with the same issue but as he's put fat and muscle on, it's supporting the kink and you can no longer see it. However near the vent is a worry as it could cause impaction or excessive prolapse.

Wish I could upload pic. Shes healthy, eats and defecates well. Its not just 1 lump its about 6, like a rollercoaster.

l am "thinking" calcium issues possibly genetic seeing the siblings have similar skeletal enlargements but thats a big call, when you say it has good bowel movements are they vey moist ? as IMO its critical that they are as IMO once again dry or even dryish bowel movements worsen scenarios like this in GTP's. solar 17 (Baden) :)

As above.I have seen it before in Aspidites,seems to me like a calcium problem like MBD.

l am "thinking" calcium issues possibly genetic seeing the siblings have similar skeletal enlargements but thats a big call, when you say it has good bowel movements are they vey moist ? as IMO its critical that they are as IMO once again dry or even dryish bowel movements worsen scenarios like this in GTP's. solar 17 (Baden) :)

Yes her bowel movements are moist, that is when there not in the water lol.

Im getting alot of pms with people with similar problems. Hope its not from the same breeder. Than again. Majority rules!

Just had to euthanize my 3yr old gtp. Xrays, tests etc done. Mystery. Lost all muscle control from mid body down. Never will I purchase from that dealer again. Goodluck to all that pm me with similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back