Guns?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What would I need to get my firearms license in S.A? Going from what I've read, I'd need to pay the fees, fill out a form, attend a TAFE course (how much would that cost?) and set up a gun safe.

I'm guessing they don't allow wooden gun safes hey? I was thinking it'd be easier to a surplus store, buy an old metal school locker and convert it, would they allow that?

And what's a good rifle for someone that's only ever fired one gun before and for target shooting? Preferably one that fits into Category A or B. It's hard enough to understand how to get a permit for those, let alone the more advanced firearms.

Also, is it legal to just go out to the pines where people usually hunt to shoot targets? Or would you have to go to a range?

Thanks.

Laws are diferant in each state, best thing to do would be contact the sporting shooters association in your area and talk to them. As a general rule target shooting is only allowed at a range, but if you are on private property not bothering anyone its not going to be a problem.

Well, personally I think the main requirement for anyone to have a gun for "sport" shooting is to be brainless and heartless. If animals must be culled, let it be done by properly employed shooters or farmers to protect their property....but "sport" shooting is totally abhorrent to me.....but that's just my opinion. !!!

Well, personally I think the main requirement for anyone to have a gun for "sport" shooting is to be brainless and heartless. If animals must be culled, let it be done by properly employed shooters or farmers to protect their property....but "sport" shooting is totally abhorrent to me.....but that's just my opinion. !!!

I wouldn't put it that way, because I don't want to offend anyone. But I don't really agree with killing animals for sport either.

Laws are diferant in each state, best thing to do would be contact the sporting shooters association in your area and talk to them. As a general rule target shooting is only allowed at a range, but if you are on private property not bothering anyone its not going to be a problem.

Private property? Damn. So target shooters can't even shoot where animal hunters shoot?

Then how about you give threads like this one a miss? Ok then, Bye bye now.

i dont see any problem with it, the shooters are getting rid of noxious pests which can only be a good thing, there is no difference between someone who gets hired by a farm to shoot pests and someone that spends theyre own time and money shooting pests

i myself dont mind hunting but the prefered method id use is illegle here (falconry), dont mind bow shooting ither

Naledge hunters can't just shoot wherever they please.. they need permission from whoever owns the land - so it'd be the same as target shooters if you wanted to go and shoot trees or something. This is the website of the SA branch of SSAA: SSAA South Australia -Shooting for all - Forever!

Grannieannie why click on a thread about shooting? Sport shooters are doing this country a service by getting rid of as many pigs/goats/deer/cats/dogs/foxes/camels/buffalo etc etc as they can... there is no place for ferals in Australia so what does it matter who shoots them? As long as it is done quickly and humanely who cares?

firearms.jpg

No idea about SA requirements. Seperate safes for ammo and guns is whats required here, metal safe at least 3mm thick from memory.
Dont shoot anymore so dont have to know, just wanted to post this picture :p

This is my rabble on why...

Your views and opinions are yours not mine but as a shooter myself I have the opportunity to support you fully. I was taught at a very young age how to saftley use a weapon by my father who was taught by a royal guard. I used a low velocity air rifle when I started at 4 (.177 or 4.5mm) for toads because the .22 (5.5) dinted the concrete as it ricocheted. When the old man passed I went into the cadet system during school and havent left. I got my 'minors A&B license' (when it can be issued at 11 in QLD) at 16, I now make the 'wing' team for the .22 and am a ADFC qualified instructor. I have a .22 and a .32 wichester under my name.

I admit I have done hunting but it was a paid job out far out west (windoorah way) in rigs for pest control with 50+ people each with their own. It was a huge learning curve for myself and we were paid by the animal I didnt get anything so I volunteered. If it isnt hunting I am practicing at Belmont Rifle Range in brisbane or at the indoor range at QSS in west ipswich.

I am waiting for my enlistment date the the army in the next couple of weeks but in the mean time I am upgrading mine to a Cat. D and H before I next month. Thats pistol and semi automatic but I need it (cat D) for the big bore rifle i am looking into for the metalic silouette disciple.

To naledge-

Hunting is not always for sport it is sometime for control and for food.
Before i drag on anymore.... heres what you can do if interested

- buy the mag 'australian shoter' at the shops
- go on SSAA - Sporting Shooters' Association of Australia and look on the left side of the page
- call or drop into your local police station to enquire about more information
- find a local club or range there is 1 in your area. mt gambier does ring a bell
- if you want a few dozen mags i can mail you a box full of some past issues of the aus shooter

Your views and opinions are yours not mine but as a shooter myself I have the opportunity to support you fully.

As I said.....I apologise for my comments, although I keep my private view....and I will not comment on this again.

As I said in an earlier post, I choose to support the opposite views to my own. I like to say thanks for saying it and I did welcome your comments. However, I did not like the comments made by PhilK and warukazi. Seriously it take simple words like this to change legislation from the blokes upstairs. I am disgusted!, Ok you maybe just defending yourselves as shooters but it was done incorrectly have some consideration for the non shooters out there.

grannieannie it is a public forum and a free country in my opinion you were allowed to say what you did.

As I said in an earlier post, I choose to support the opposite views to my own. I like to say thanks for saying it and I did welcome your comments. However, I did not like the comments made by PhilK and warukazi. Seriously it take simple words like this to change legislation from the blokes upstairs. I am disgusted!, Ok you maybe just defending yourselves as shooters but it was done incorrectly have some consideration for the non shooters out there.

grannieannie it is a public forum and a free country in my opinion you were allowed to say what you did.
I agree it is a free country and of course everyone is entitled to express their opinions.. Grannieannie expressed hers and I expressed mine.

I did not mean to do it in a 'disgusting' manner, and I really don't think I did. I was simply putting a pro-shooting direction on it, but that isn't and wasn't meant to sound like I think less of grannieannie for being anti-shooting. Sorry for any offence caused.

I received my firearms license thru a course I did with my uni.... best to contact the relevant authority in your state. I had to read a booklet thingy, do a quiz and have a few lessons at the range with different firearms.

I agree it is a free country and of course everyone is entitled to express their opinions.. Grannieannie expressed hers and I expressed mine.

I did not mean to do it in a 'disgusting' manner, and I really don't think I did. I was simply putting a pro-shooting direction on it, but that isn't and wasn't meant to sound like I think less of grannieannie for being anti-shooting. Sorry for any offence caused.

I don't think it was your pro-shooting slant that was a problem as much as telling annie she shouldn't be part of the thread if she had a different view to add...

No I didn't mean she should get out... I was just confused as to why someone who disagrees with shooting would click onto a thread about guns? I like cats so I don't enter the cat hating threads on APS. I don't like KFC so I never go into the shop.

It's like all the hunting videos on YouTube that have a million comments from people about how disgusting hunters are.. why would they type "hunting video" into the search bar if they hate it so much?

Anyway, off topic - sorry grannieannie I didn't mean to come off as if I was telling you to go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back