Guns?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would I need to get my firearms license in S.A? Going from what I've read, I'd need to pay the fees, fill out a form, attend a TAFE course (how much would that cost?) and set up a gun safe.Thanks.

My brother has recently finally got his firearms licence.
You are correct in what you need to do. Start by going to the copshop and asking for an application, once the application is approved you will be notified, and you will need to book in to do the course (unsure if the course is TAFE, but its still schooling none-the-less) Once you finish the course (which from what he told me is not entirely easy) you are notified again, and you can go pay some more fees to fully receive your firearms licence.

I am not 100% on this but I think you need an officer to come out and inspect your gun safe before they will let you actually purchase a firearm and ammunition.

Your best bet is to ring sapol and ask though.

Another note- I didnt think the thread asked for anyone's opinions on the matter, naledge was asking for information.

Problem has since been sorted. Naledge can refer back to my posts... I have given plenty of credible information for someone starting out in the sport. Drop me a PM if anyone has any further issues, I dont bite.

I take offence to being called brainless and heartless. Grannieannie has no idea who i am, what i do or how i do it. But because i am a hunter she seems to think she has the right to judge me and has judged me and others like me in a slanderous fashion on a public forum.

You are right monkey, simple words can help change legislation. The same as not challenging simple outdated views on hunting can. But hey we're the killers here so we're the bad guys.

As I said in an earlier post, I choose to support the opposite views to my own. I like to say thanks for saying it and I did welcome your comments. However, I did not like the comments made by PhilK and warukazi. Seriously it take simple words like this to change legislation from the blokes upstairs. I am disgusted!, Ok you maybe just defending yourselves as shooters but it was done incorrectly have some consideration for the non shooters out there.

grannieannie it is a public forum and a free country in my opinion you were allowed to say what you did.

As I said in an earlier post, I choose to support the opposite views to my own. I like to say thanks for saying it and I did welcome your comments. However, I did not like the comments made by PhilK and warukazi. Seriously it take simple words like this to change legislation from the blokes upstairs. I am disgusted!, Ok you maybe just defending yourselves as shooters but it was done incorrectly have some consideration for the non shooters out there.

grannieannie it is a public forum and a free country in my opinion you were allowed to say what you did.

Wow your posts hurt my brain :lol: What are you on about? I seriously doubt a few comments on a snake forum could have the slightest influence on gun laws. Of course she can say her opinion, although it isnt very smart or considerate to share such a deliberately offensive opinion. Its much like starting a thread on this site saying the only good snake is a dead snake or that anyone who kills cute intelligent social animals to keep snakes in a small cage is brainless and heartless, its an equally valid opinion but not the best place to express it.

contact your SSAA in your state !

or your nearest police station they can point you in the right direction !

Contact a shooting Club in your area and go and have a chat ( indoor or outdoor ranges ) with the club members and employees of the club !

go and watch a members day shoot on the range ( as you wont be able to go for a hunt till you have all the right licenses and equipment ) !

NO WOODEN SAFES ALLOWED ( I DONT KNOW EVEN IF THEY MAKE SUCH A THING )

i am from nsw and i am a Q/INSTRUCTOR -

FROM THE S.A POLICE WEBSITE
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Services > Firearms & Weapons > Firearms clubs, licences & registration > How to obtain a firearms licence How to obtain a firearms licence
Apply

Complete an application form called "PD 303 - Application for a Firearms licence" in person at your local police station. You will need to provide identification - 100 points system.
What happens after I apply?

The police station will forward the application to Firearms Branch.
Checks will be done into your suitability to hold a licence.

If you are considered a suitable person, Firearms Branch will send you a 'training letter' advising you of the training you will be required to undertake, depending on the purpose for which you wish to hold the licence.
  • If a T.A.F.E. course is required, information of venues of courses is supplied with the 'training letter'.
  • If your purpose is as a member of a recognised firearms club, your club's training officer will provide you with the relevant information.
  • If your purpose is as a security guard, a list of authorised security training instructors will be supplied with the 'training letter'. Justification will also include proof of employment with a licensed security company.
Further justification will be required for some classes and purposes of use. Justification will generally not be required for purpose of use 2 (target shooting) and 3 (hunting) and 4 (paintball).
When justifications and training certificates are received, Firearms Branch will send you a 'data card', with which you attend at a photo point, again provide your 100 points of identification and pay the prescribed licence fee. Upon payment, an 'interim licence' will be issued.
You should receive your photographic licence within 28 days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back