Habitat Question for Stimsons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickNack

Reaction score
Hey. I've had my Stimson's for almost ten years (he'd be a little older than that, got him when he was a couple months old) and I've had him for most of my life (I'm now 18.)
For as long as I've had him, I've used newspaper to lay the bottom of his enclosure. I've had a quick look around and noticed that some people use sand or pine shavings (I think it was - correct me if I'm wrong.). I'm just wondering what's best for the snake and how to go about it?

Right now I replace the newspaper ever couple feeds when I clean his cage.

EDIT: Also generally, what's everyone's suggestions for habitat setup? I'm aware they aren't tree-climbing snakes, but should I still put places for him to climb to? Right now I have two small low-lying logs. Will post pictures if you wish. Just wondering because I'm about to make a run to the nearest Pet Shop tomorrow for some food and will get other stuff if it's better for him and his enclosure.

Regards, Nic.

Last edited:
If you have had the snake for 10 years and its still healthy, that should tell that you whatever you have been doing has been good for the snake and it does not need changing. It sounds more like you want a change but don’t want it to have a negative impact on the snake. Setting yourself a ridiculous timeline, like by tomorrow when you will be at the pet shop, is definitely NOT in the snake’s best interest.

Do you want to make changes because you want a more natural looking effect in the vivarium?

Stimmies are climbers. They climb up and down scree slopes, breakaways and other rock faces, as well as over fallen timber. They should definitely be given something to climb over or up.

Coir (one without fertiliser added), aspen chips, pine shavings that have been heat treated to remove the volatile chemicals and small aquarium gravel are all suitable and natural looking.

Creating a rock wall background or purchasing one of the commercially produced units often makes a huge difference to the appearance of an enclosure.

Blue

If it ain't broken, it doesn't need fixing. Newspaper (or butcher's paper) is probably the best substrate from a python husbandry point of view.

Jamie

I use Kritters Crumble, the course version. It's very easy to spot clean and looks great. My boy loves to climb so I've got a nice big piece of grape wood, which he is always on. There's also a few lots of plastic plants that he uses to curl up under and a hide.
There's a couple of extra bits of foliage in there now but it's a good pic of the branch.
IMG_1064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks so nice, man. I'm really going to have to put in effort for my next enclosure. I was eight when I got my Stimmy, and I think I didn't do too bad all things considering. He's still a lovely, happy snake who still gets a lot of attention and care.

On second thought however, my enclosure for him doesn't have a big lip on the front, so wouldn't really be able to put any other substrate apart from newspaper and such without it all falling out everytime I open the door.

Try adding a branch or something for him to climb on, many them will climb, even though theyre not really built for it..they seem to enjoy it, especially at shed time.

I do have a couple of branches. I've always keep them sort of low though, I'll adjust them a bit and give him some room to climb and see how he goes, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back