Hairy turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have this little juvie saw shelled turtle whose shell is thickly covered with a dark green hair-like moss/fungi/algae growth.

Should I attempt getting it off? If so how? it seems to keep the shell wet when he tries to dry out, and possibly blocks uv.

Any help would be great.
Cheers

Attachments

• 17012009177.jpg
    17012009177.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 17012009178.jpg
    17012009178.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 254
not a turtle keeper, but i'd take a toothbrush to his shell, and dry him out proper after you have cleaned him....

prof. opinions required, though.

I dont know Barno, it was handed in to us here at wildlife rescue. It won't just pull off and has a good grip on his shell.

personally I'd use a toothbrush and try to get it off as gently as possible, to let the shell dry out when he basks, otherwise you'll end up with more problems

if its glued on, maybe dry him out first then have a go at it...

Im not too sure on how to get it off but i would be getting most of it off as soon as possible! i will get onto my friend tomorrow night and see what he says he is pritty good with turtles!

Awww! it looks like he's wearing a little jacket! so cute!

David Vella is good with turtle shells, he may be able to offer some handy advice.

Their shells need UV to grow and stay hard.

You will have to remove it, try the toothbrush meathod as Laura and Everny said.
If that dosnt work, gentaly scrape it away with a blunt knife (butter knife)
If the shell is soft, the algae may grow into the shell and kill it.

Once clean, give it a lot of UV basking time and calcium.

Hetty, how would I contact David Vella. His name sounds familiar is he a vet? Does he come on here?
Thanks everyone.

Most who have seen your pics (here) suggest that there's more than the algae that's the problem - suggestion... listen to the experts - none of which I believe have currently contributed to this thread.

Yeah, he's a vet in Crows Nest (02) 9436 4884. Don't think he comes on here.

When we were rescuing turtles here in SA, we were told to leave the algae on as it does no harm & helps them to hide. The only ones we cleaned had tubeworm infestation on them. We did 100s of turtles all up & were in constant touch with turtle people & researchers. They all said leave it unless it is obviously so thick the turtle is having probs moving. Then thin it out. Good luck with him Graeme. What is his fate?

Cement, if you are serious about your wildlife rescue work, then you would not do anything that would risk harming or injuring the turtle.

Algae on turtles is natural and harmless. Leave it there.

Remember that turtles can feel contact on their shell. Unless you enjoy the feeling of someone holding you down and scrubbing your head with a toothbrush until you are bald, then don't do it to this turtle.

For 'informed' advice on turtles, switch to this site:
www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au

Regards,
Michael.

thats actually good to know.
my reaction was similar to a few others; to clean it off asap...

but i like being proven wrong if it means learning something.

god luck with mr hairy "toupee" turtle.

that has happened to our turtle leave him the sun for a while everyday until it goes away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back