handling help for a noob

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gooch

Reaction score
hey guys, i recently purchased my first carpet python and have some questions to do with handling. I have read alot of the handling threads posted which have been helpful however i'm concerned I have been misinformed on one topic by someone else.

I was told by another owner that if she tries to strike me when trying to handle her, to handle her straight away so she doesn't associate striking with handling. This seems to stress her out big time which can only make her more nervous?????? I don't want to over handle her but don't want her to be nervous everytime i go near her?

i have had the snake for a bit under a fortnight and it's 4 months old

i have had the snake for a bit under a fortnight and it's 4 months old
i wouldnt even be trying to handle it yet , there is plenty of time in the future . id leave it be for a few weeks , and only disturb when cleaning it out. what have u got it in ?

i wouldnt even be trying to handle it yet , there is plenty of time in the future . id leave it be for a few weeks , and only disturb when cleaning it out. what have u got it in ?

Thanks for the advice. It's in a 45 x 45 x 60 glass terrarium. It has a decent hide and plenty of branches. Had some drama's keeping the temp up at first being glass but upgraded the 50w ceramic to 75w and that seemed to do the trick

They're always a bit nut-so when they're young. It's a natural instinct to avoid bieng eaten! :lol:

Luckily I've got a baby tiger snake that thinks it's partially human :lol: No trips to the hospital yet! (fingers crossed :lol:)

Thanks for the advice. It's in a 45 x 45 x 60 glass terrarium. It has a decent hide and plenty of branches. Had some drama's keeping the temp up at first being glass but upgraded the 50w ceramic to 75w and that seemed to do the trick
i guess u have a light cage for the ceramic heat emitter? make sure the wire on the light cage is small enough so the snake cant squeeze through .

They're always a bit nut-so when they're young. It's a natural instinct to avoid bieng eaten! :lol:

Luckily I've got a baby tiger snake that thinks it's partially human :lol: No trips to the hospital yet! (fingers crossed :lol:)
have u ever been tagged by a ven snake?

i guess u have a light cage for the ceramic heat emitter? make sure the wire on the light cage is small enough so the snake cant squeeze through .
yer all good on the light cage. It's sitting on top covered by mesh.

Haha nothing better than drunken vens handling.

One of my Jungles is a typical Jungle and used to bite and strike at anything that moved even shadows but after giving her time to settle in and being persistant with handling she at the ripe old age of 6 or 7 months has now calmed down.
The trick is to remove them from there enclosure quickly,dont hesitate if they 'S' up at you as they will react to the movement of you removing your hand by striking at you.Reach in and grab them without hesitation or if youre not comfortable doing that use a hook to remove them.
Then once out make slow calm movements so as not to startle them and always keep them moving,never allow them to stop slithering across your hands as this is when they will focus on the big warm human and see you as a threat.
Offer them hand over hand to keep them on the move and try to have them slithering away from you rather than towards you so their focus is things/items/furniture etc in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back