handling, how often?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviendha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
being a newbie and all, i thought i would relate this coment and see what the pros think.

when i got my juv maccies checked out at the vet. (he was the first reptile vet at the currumbin bird sanctuary on the gold coast so you would think fairly knowlegable)
he gave me a BIG lecture on handling and told me to only handle when i had too, that is cage cleaning and feeding. he said that it stresses the snakes and stressed snakes get sick. he said that especally with juv snakes even once a week is to much.

he said that the reason that juv snakes are bitey is because in the wild they are prey for larger animals and that when they are bigger they will be docile whether you handle them or not.

because he is a vet i listened to him and i hardley ever handle my snakes. i am thinking of changing that though after reading this forum for so long and seeing how often everyone seems to handle.

so pros and newbies alike, should i ditch the docters orders?

Thanks
Summer

well, i don't know much, but i have a 10 month mac, and i handle her every day, no exceptions.
she has never bitten me, or anyone else, she hasn't even tried.
don't know if this helps.

ummm, there is some truth in it i guess, though lots of people handle their snakes almost daily, i on the other hand very rarely handle mine, usually only to clean the cage and if visitors arrive and wanna play with them, as a result all my snakes are fairly docile, some completely, though if you smell of food they will take your neck off.

cheers
pom

lol Stevo knows what hes talkin about, bet he still wakes up in a sweat short of breath ,eh stevo LOL...........ps Ive read quite alot on the subject ofhandling and the same basic info runs thru the lot i.e. snakes can be snappy as juvies but are genrally docile as adults. i suppose its a survival trait, if i was picked up by a huge hand id prolly be upset too lol. my 9ft coastal is as placid as a doorstopper btw. :D personally im only handling monty on occasion now bwcause its too much trouble to wrestle him out of his hide log, big ones that get stubborn are like a single huge muscle thatd put arnie to shame, very strong.

Placid as a doorstopper!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/albums/Dan-s-stuff/kids_monty1.jpg

I don't handle mine much, out of 28 pythons i only have two that i consider to be snappy.

I think it all depends on what you want out of your collection.
Some people want a pet that they can get out everyday and handle and enjoy having the knowledge that there snake is nice and tame.
Others like myself and NoOne probably have(Had) too many to handle regularly, and I personally would just work at taming the problem ones, or the ones that I felt would benefit the most from regular handling.
For instance, my Scrubs were always something that got handled regularly from Hatchlings, for obvious resons, I didn't relish a 10-16 ft unhandalble monster.

What the vet says will probably have more credence to some species more than others, If I was you with only one or two snakes, I would handle regularly and build your confidence and the snakes with you.

Neil

I handle mine every few days, and like Wattso, when I have visitors (can't help showing them off). Mine are never snappy.... well, except for my olive when he's getting close to shedding time, but that's because he can't see too well, and is defensive.

... Wattso - cute little poppetts! How come one's dark and one's blonde? What colour hair does the milkman have, out of interest???? :)

LMAO Lutz, come ta think of it, we're never short of milk......hmmmm?.........nah, mum is dark haired and Daddy was blond as a kid, i suppose it evened out. Thats a question been asked many times and always brings a laugh and the odd postie/milko joke. I was there on both occasions! lol :D

One of my Diamonds actually comes over to the glass whenever i walk in the room and as soon as I open the door she heads out straight up my arm for a snuggle. It seems she likes to be handled but none of the others do this, but all are handled at least once a week, sometimes more and all are fine with it and all are healthy and active. Hope that helps.
Also I think it not only varies from species to species but also different snakes of the same species have different temperamanets, probably just like us.

Also I think it not only varies from species to species but also different snakes of the same species have different temperamanets, probably just like us.
i totally agree with you there, i must be the lucky owner of a cuddly snake. storm is fine to be handled, day, nite, shedding, eaten.... no matter what.

I don't mind having a couple of snappy pythons, keeps you on your toes at feeding and cleaning time. :)

thanks everyone.

i think that i will handle my snakes more often now especially as my girl is a bit snappy, might help her calm down a bit.

my boy has always been docile so he gets more pats, but they are now both going to get more attention though my cat will be jelouse.

Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back