Happy progress on background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
If ya thinking about doing a fake background do it its fun and progress is super rewarding can't wait to put a few more coasts of render on and paint it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 112
Looking good Dutchy, I started rendering today too, but why didn't you just update your other thread with these pics?

Looking good Dutchy, I started rendering today too, but why didn't you just update your other thread with these pics?
Honestly gruni it jst updates it doesn't come up on the current thread page and wanted to show it off its starting to crack a little but I'm not to worried hopefully the other Coates will fix that

Little cracks or Grand Canyon cracks ? Hairline cracks here and there probably won't be an issue but big cracks could indicate you've put it on too thick and its drying unevenly and too quickly. Let it air dry in the shade. dont heat it or put it in the sun.

That why I do the 3 coats and make sure each layer is totally dry before the next layer goes on and super dry before the sealer goes on

Little cracks or Grand Canyon cracks ? Hairline cracks here and there probably won't be an issue but big cracks could indicate you've put it on too thick and its drying unevenly and too quickly. Let it air dry in the shade. dont heat it or put it in the sun.

That why I do the 3 coats and make sure each layer is totally dry before the next layer goes on and super dry before the sealer goes on

Tar jaxs, there not massive cracks but like you said its more where it's a but thicker. For the second and third coats should I add pva glue like the first coat or not? Also how thick should the next coats be my first one today was like paint sort of consistance should I slowly make it thicker as I go?

We had a really windy day and it helped with the drying heaps in the shade of the carport, I'm still leaving it till the morning for the second coat though.

I know what you mean Dutchy, the site settings require 72hrs between posts to make a new post, I have been known to message people and ask for them to bump the thread or if I know I'll be updating soon I don't reply if someone else has posted. Just goes to show what I was saying to Jax the other night that the DIY section would benefit from being cut back to 24hrs so you can make updates daily when your project is in full swing.

Yeh defiantly gruni I wanna show my projects of now not in 72hrs haha making this background but has really mad me think why people pay so much to buy one I'm stoked wit how mine looks

No need for PVA in anything but the first layer.
I was saying in one of the threads this morning (cant remember whose, its been a long day) that the first layer is thicken cream ( you're on the mark with a bit thicker than paint) and the last one is like mud pie consistency. The 2nd layer is somewhere in between. None of the layers are thick. But the thin coat gets into crevices and because the last layer is dense it gives a better illusion of rocks and helps add strength.

The moderators are looking at how we can work with the 72 hour edit issue. We will keep you informed :) in the meantime I'm happy to help where I can !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back