Hardcore sydney herper spots first of season!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I saw my first wild herp today on vic barracks. A cool little garden skink about 4 inches in length, now isnt that hardcore!!

And yes, its pathetic i know, but for me living and working in a cement jungle its cool!! NOT!

yay my 2 resident skinks emerged yeaterday
and i saw another at the uni basking

Well...in brisbane here we have them all year round. dunno y but they never seem to go away.

Ah well, garden skinks (Lampropholis delicata) and a water skink were the only wild herps I saw on my trip to Sydney! I had to content myself with that!

well stop sniffing your armpit
;)
kidding

whats the name of the big garden skinks? i forget

Sxe, those tiny skinks are just as valuable to the ecology as monitors or any other herp. :wink: Id miss seeing them around in my garden and on the back wall anyway, my mini foxy thinks they are fun to chase. I saw a tiny one cuaght up dead in a trapdoors web once.

A 4" long Garden Skink? I smell 'roids!

I noticed sydney people having a different definition of 'garden skink' from us melbournians. Anything which isn't a Tiliqua or Egernia seemed to count :)
4" isn't all that big for one though.

ive seen some in the local bushland sdaji, look much like the tiny "garden skink" but about 15 cm long. not sure what species they are. :?
the litle ones, ive often found immobile on the lawn in the morning, too cold to move, a few minutes in a nice sunny place and they are up n off.

Depends where you live.The larger skinks around here are Eulamphrus quoyii(Eastern Water Skink). Though now that they have put what was left of the creek into stormwater pipies I guess they'll go next.

ive seen some in the local bushland sdaji, look much like the tiny "garden skink" but about 15 cm long. not sure what species they are.

Post a good pic and I (and several others here) should be able to ID it.

Speaking of such, can anyone id the skink in my avatar? There's another one of it in my gallery.

Sdaji - looks like the photo I showed you was quoyii then!
Peter - this skink was in turramurra (near hornsby) probably 50m from the nearest moving water, but next to a pool. S-V length about 10 cm(ish). Sound right?

Sam, yeah, that was my guess too.

I've seen E.tympanum well over a km from the nearest river or dam.

The little garden skinks here would get to 10cm SVL no worried at all. Little bronze coloured things with lighter coloured line down their sides.

When do bluetounges come out in Sydney? I have them in my garden but never really see them.

Regards Ether

Right now! I was out yesterday and caught two, plus some pinktongues and jacky dragons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back