Hatchling Coastal Carpet Pythons not feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be surprised how large a meal a python can fit...I have a small Port Mac hatchling that is taking fuzzy mice (the snake is about 30cm long)...

Had a clutch of Coastals hatch at the beginning of this year - Only about half of them ate in the first week after their first shed and several didnt take their first meal until they were about 3 months old - So absolutely no need to panic yet...

First thing - Get their temps up - Dont let them drop below the high 20's (celcius) anywhere in their tubs and make sure they have a hot end of low 30's (celcius)

Second thing - Make sure you dont touch them for several days (try not to go near them for a week)

Now you can try feeding - Make sure you have a variety of sizes, each animal will have its own preference as to the size of the prey and also how it is presented (dry, wet, brained, scented, covered in chicken feathers, live, etc). My suggestion would be to go with trying dry or wet food first, then trying feathers, then moving on with the messier / fiddlier methods...

I really wouldn't be surprised at all. ;)

I've seen the remainder of my collection perform some impressive feats, but I don't think the babies will take quail.

I've tried; dry, wet, hot, cold, overnight and prodding & agitating.

I'm willing to try; scenting, braining and live.

I'll leave them for a couple more days, then try again.

Give the chicken feathers a go - They really do work very well for coastals...

Get feathers from a day old chick (just a small pinch) and put them on a wet fuzzy - They'll stick easily - Then offer to the hatchling, feather side first...

Oh. The ones next door are massive. :)

Will a defrost one do?

carpets like to start on something a bit furry, try a fuzzy mouse. I know it looks big, but they will get it down with no problem.

I had a few fussy feeders from my two Coastal clutches. Chicken feathers has done the trick for one of these feeders, and the other has to be put in a very small cardboard box inside his container and locked in there with the fuzzy mouse and then left alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back