Hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

We have bred a few reptiles for the last few years. And getting them feeding has never been a problem. However this year we had 18 spotted babies that hatched approximately two months ago. Of which three have started feeding. The remaining fifteen have shown no interest at all. I have tried braining them which has worked previous years. But no such luck with this years stubborn little worms.

So my question for any experienced breeders out there. Is what other methods do you guys use to get stubborn feeders going?

We have had only a couple over the last few years die due to starvation that wouldn't feed. And i would hate to see nearly a whole clutch go down the same way. They still seem to have fair condition on them after two months. but would like to get on top of it now before they start wasting away.

cheers
Damien

I get good results from scenting the pinkies with lizard tails.
the small ones found around your home.

Have you tryed scenting? rubing a skink on the mouse nose or braining and sticking quail feathers to the rodent.
Ive seen people dip the mouse in tuna oil for problem feeders.

Thanks for the replies guys. We actually have quite a few garden skinks getting around our house. So I will catch one and try scenting pinkies with it. Or I might buy some quail and try sticking a few feathers into a brained pinkies head.

Cheers again for the replies

damo

Have you managed to get your hatchlings to eat yet Damien? I currently have some that I am getting to take their first feed and I know it can be very frustrating.

any of my chidreni that don't eat after a few months get assist fed a few times, most just need a little kick start, once they get one down they normally get going really well.

although i had one that was assist fed for 8 months, once it was big enough it took a pink rat and has never looked back, now feeding on fuzzy and hopper rats or day old quail, but still wont have a bar of any mouse offered.

im yet to see a hatchies refuse a garden skink, then 2nd feed just sent a pinkie with a skink... i freeze the skinks for a week(atleast) first to kill any 'nastys' they may have... good luck..

My first Stimmie hatchie was like this a stubborn feeder,...I got him started by putting him in a smallish container with a live garden skink,...as soon as he saw the skink dart around him he got super excited and as soon as he was about to strick the skink I put the pinkie in the way and presto he ate,...I still had to do this procedure a few time before he took pinkies straight up....Good luck with it mate.

I have an annoying childreni that ate well for 3 feeds.... now nothing for a few weeks :(

The male which i got UNFEEDING is now feeding well lol

Try gently rubbing there food along there necks for 10/15 minutes worked for me

if skinks are in short supply try scenting with a bit of raw fish, I've had good success with that in the past

This little girl doesn't even strike..... no matter how much i annoy her witht he food item. I'll try with fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back