Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep buying from hero shop but the postage fees are killing me

I ended up buying a heatcord because for the same wattage it was $30 cheaper. I have installed it and waiting for it to do it's magic!

True. The new Brian Barnet trilogy is going to be awesome! No doubt the villain will be "he who shall not be named".

Heat cords are amazing :) I would put it outside the tank, just as best practise. The best idea to use, is getting a slate tile to go on top of them. To catch all the heat. Also spreads it more evenly. Then you just get a second tile for the other end with no cord to keep the enclosure sitting even. If you happen to have a pulse proportional thermostat you will find put just how amazing heat cords are at giving steady stable heat. And in the warmer months you just take a few coils off the bottom of the tile to bring the average temp down. Really that simple. I live on the south side of Brisbane and find them the easiest to adjust for our climate. Because lights have a min heat the put out. Heat cords not coiled make next to no heat. Perfect for making gentle heat through a hot summer night.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hahaha Gold... don't know how much of a villain a person can be though with the lack of venom. What's the super villain power... I know legislative power!

The DeathStar will become something much more intimidating, like JackyStar ?

Hahaha. He sneaks in and takes credit for other people's work ;-)

Heh. I'm guessing the episode he is most prominent in will be titled "Revenge of the Twit" ?

The heatcord is not nearly hot enough! It's sitting at 28 degrees during the hottest part of the day :/ sigh!

I need another thermostat, what do people think of ebay ones? Are they dodgy or do the job still?

Ebay ones are fine for heat cord because on/off control doesn't damage them. If you're changing your thermo because of the temp problem though I would suggest just turning it up. If you're getting that temp without a thermo then just run the zig zags closer together.
Also, are you measuring surface temp or air temp? Heat cords don't really heat up the air. If you measure the surface temp (with an IR gun or something similar) you will probably find it's much hotter than you expect

No my other one completely stopped working :(
I am measuring air temp so maybe thats the problem! Thanks heaps for your advice!

I use a heat cord and tile. Absolutely love the idea!

However, my question is whether a heat cord can ever be used effectively for arboreal species, where a vertical heat gradient is required? I am guessing that you would really need a lamp directing heat from above, and that cords would not be suitable. Any thoughts?

Why not just put a 20w heatmat under the glass tank? That is what they are designed and available for? Then it doesnt matter what substrate you use coz the mat is under the glass. There is 2 types of heat mat, the ones that look loke a sheet of thick plastic with elements inside it.... and the green ones that can go inside an enclosure with dry substrate. Go for the plastic type, under glass one. These outlast bolbs and dont kill thermostats either :)

Hi guys

Would the heat cord routed into the bottom of the enclosure with a tile on top be the way to go with my Bredli? As they are a basking snake and my guys are always out under the light. Would I have to still have both light and cord system in there enclosure? I will be putting the cord and tile system in for the coastal,s and stimi's, but just not shore on the Bredli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back