Health and Fitness

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just get something straight here: a kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat. It bugs me when people say that muscle "weighs more" than fat. Muscle is a bit denser than fat (1.06 kg/litre versus 0.92 kg/litre), but the difference is 15 - 20%. The main reason muscle looks better is because it doesn't sag or wobble.

I just had comp today hehe. Here is section of my program:
Monday:Accelerations
Tuesday : Hollowlaps
Wednesday:Medball and Plyos
Thursday: 10X80 off blocks

Monday:Sled
Tuesday: 10/8/6/4 x 300
Wednesday: Medball and Plyos
Thursday: 2x 60,80,100,120

Monday:Accelerations
Tuesday: 8/6/4 x 400 (50/50 off)
Wednesday: Medball and Pyos
Thursday: Starts

Monday: Hills
Tuesday: 16/12/8/6 x 150
Wednesday: Medball ,Plyos
Thursday: 16/12/8 X turnarounds

Monday :Ladder work
Tuesday:Starts
Wednesday:Medball ,plyos
Thursday :12/8/6 x Long 200s

Nikki :)

Let's just get something straight here: a kilo of muscle weighs the same as a kilo of fat. It bugs me when people say that muscle "weighs more" than fat. Muscle is a bit denser than fat (1.06 kg/litre versus 0.92 kg/litre), but the difference is 15 - 20%. The main reason muscle looks better is because it doesn't sag or wobble.
I think people mean to say that it weighs more than fat per volume.

Most studies I have read say that it is safer to be slightly overweight than slightly underweight (when you start getting to severely overweight or obese, these ratios change significantly) Having a few additional kilos gives your body a bit of a barrier for sickness and provides additional nutrition for times when your body is adapting to physical change (ie pregnancy) So Shooshoo and Tahnee, you should both be concerned about your (low) weight!

Also, I don't think it is healthy to be disclosing weight/height/BMIs when we are discussing women who are underweight. I'm not making any accusing statements here, but I know media reports surrounding women with eating disorders tend to avoid disclosures of weight because other women with eating disorders read, compare and try and 'beat' other women's weight loss. I think a discussion about health and fitness is great, but if we start with the "I weigh less than you" thing, it might lead to problems.

training - i was doin muay thai last year until i hurt my knee at work... knee's bout 95% there.. getting back into boxing for now once my mate gets back from his fight in thailand... had to stop drumming and pretty much everything else... for now just weights and some pt that i used to do in the army... jumping jacks, skipping, burpees... (bout 3x a week) ....

diet- watever i feel like... ha

jumping jacks, skipping, burpees...

LOL I was mucking about with my 4yo daughter the other day and she was pretending to do pushups, so I explained what burpees were and asked her to try and do one. As she brought her knees up, her little arms gave way and she skidded, face first along the concrete driveway, grazing her chin and getting a bloody nose. Poor little thing - as I picked her up and cuddled her to stop her crying, I hope she couldn't see my uncontrollable laughter!!!

LOL I was mucking about with my 4yo daughter the other day and she was pretending to do pushups, so I explained what burpees were and asked her to try and do one. As she brought her knees up, her little arms gave way and she skidded, face first along the concrete driveway, grazing her chin and getting a bloody nose. Poor little thing - as I picked her up and cuddled her to stop her crying, I hope she couldn't see my uncontrollable laughter!!!

ha ha we had a few people who did that on the first day of y enlistment in the army... i was laughing me head off... got a punishment of 50 push ups for that ... maybe u should be punished too by ur daughter ha ;)

Most studies I have read say that it is safer to be slightly overweight than slightly underweight (when you start getting to severely overweight or obese, these ratios change significantly) Having a few additional kilos gives your body a bit of a barrier for sickness and provides additional nutrition for times when your body is adapting to physical change (ie pregnancy) So Shooshoo and Tahnee, you should both be concerned about your (low) weight!

Also, I don't think it is healthy to be disclosing weight/height/BMIs when we are discussing women who are underweight. I'm not making any accusing statements here, but I know media reports surrounding women with eating disorders tend to avoid disclosures of weight because other women with eating disorders read, compare and try and 'beat' other women's weight loss. I think a discussion about health and fitness is great, but if we start with the "I weigh less than you" thing, it might lead to problems.

or we could just mother the rest of the nation to death :p

lol excersise what is that...my diet consists mainly of liquids about 4-5l of coca-cola a day then the usual 4-5 pizzas per week bout 2kgs of chips and hashbrowns a week to plus a load of other junk...

need coke to stay awake...need pizza because

and i could die whenever for any reason so doesnt bother me.

lets see today i ate
1x mccain pizza family sized of course
1x microwave burger
8x chicken kebabs
1/2 pinaple 1/2 honeydew
2 family sized packets of rocky road buscuits
packet of sour straps and clouds
like 10+ cans of coke
um 2 bread rolls with salami

and i eat from about lunch time to 2am

Last edited:
I would say that while neither is good, and there's a healthy window to fit inside, if I was a woman, I'd prefer to be slightly overweight, because it would mean I'd be less likely to develop osteoporosis later in life. Problem is, you have to weigh up the multiple risks of being overweight, which means it's only really healthy to be on the higher side of the normal window.

I train rugby league and union, i play union for a reps team so thats about 8 hours of training and games each week.... I swim every second morning and i do some ciruit training with my brother. In terms of diet, i am usually balanced i have steak about 3 times a week and one night a week is vegetarian, on the other nights its a mixture. I do eat junk food but only once a fortnight and i dont smoke or drink (usually).

Ive struggled with weight all my life, even during primary and highschool when I was very active and eating well. I started putting on even more weight after leaving school, so got into a good routine of 1-2 hours every day on the treadmill, minimum walking at 6-7km/h then regular periods of jogging. Im 5'6 and was down to 60 kilo after months of this routine, but then the treadmill pooped itself and it all piled on again as I hate walking out in public / going to the gym!

So im quite a bit heavier now and in dire need of getting into good excerise again, thinking about getting a rowing machine. :)

I took a year off from footy this year and got lazy, didn't work out too good for me, I've started training for next season running 5ks 5times a week. Working it back upto 10ks in under half houu like last year, takes me about 20minutes for 5ks atm.

I used to eat anything I wanted when I wanted cause I burnt it off so fast during footy season, now I've turned back to eating healthier to get fit again :p

God I hate when people spout BMIs like they're gospel. BMIs are such bloody rubbish. It's been proved more than once by science. BMIs are retarded measures of health

I train rugby league and union, i play union for a reps team so thats about 8 hours of training and games each week.... I swim every second morning and i do some ciruit training with my brother. In terms of diet, i am usually balanced i have steak about 3 times a week and one night a week is vegetarian, on the other nights its a mixture. I do eat junk food but only once a fortnight and i dont smoke or drink (usually).
Sounds good mate. Sprinting and long distance! Which one are you better at? ;)

Ive struggled with weight all my life, even during primary and highschool when I was very active and eating well. I started putting on even more weight after leaving school, so got into a good routine of 1-2 hours every day on the treadmill, minimum walking at 6-7km/h then regular periods of jogging. Im 5'6 and was down to 60 kilo after months of this routine, but then the treadmill pooped itself and it all piled on again as I hate walking out in public / going to the gym!

So im quite a bit heavier now and in dire need of getting into good excerise again, thinking about getting a rowing machine. :)

Rowing machines are awesome. Get into that routine again. It seems like you have the ability to keep up a healthy habit if the means are there. Don't let the small setbacks knock you down.

God I hate when people spout BMIs like they're gospel. BMIs are such bloody rubbish. It's been proved more than once by science. BMIs are retarded measures of health
Yeah, I hate when people use BMI for anything other than a very rough estimate of body dimensions. Skinfolds are the most accurate, but they are quite uncomfortable, so I mostly do many many girth measurements around different areas. As long as the client wants them done, anyways. some people just want height, weight, BP, 'resting pulse', and waist measurements.

I live at the gym there 4 - 6 times a week (some weeks a lil less as I have everything in my garage for a workout) I run alot either mornings or afternoons and I train mma, Also I eat very healthy :)

I took a year off from footy this year and got lazy, didn't work out too good for me, I've started training for next season running 5ks 5times a week. Working it back upto 10ks in under half houu like last year, takes me about 20minutes for 5ks atm.

I used to eat anything I wanted when I wanted cause I burnt it off so fast during footy season, now I've turned back to eating healthier to get fit again :p

Hayden If i was you i'd stop running and hit the weights your lanky enough wih your 2 percent body fat :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back