heat cord for incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used one for an incubator and, personally, I wouldn't. I think I'll stick to a number of evenly spaced globes within the incubator. JMO

heat cores are only new to Australian herps...but I know peolpe that use thermotape and that works well, ask aninal attraction for data on that product and if you need an adapter to use it on 240 volts

Personally i wouldn't use heat cords for anything, not the safest thing around.

Just use globes alot easier to get setup.

I have incubated plenty of egg's in incubators using heat cord, the type that animal attraction has that is water proof, I have also used heat mats and had good results, I think they are more reliable than bulbs personally and more versatile, as I could make up a incubator out of a polybox and foil, you can't do that with bulbs!

Anyway, each to there own.

Cheers Neil

When someone sets out to make an incubator they need to choose a thermostat that suits the heatsource.

For a simple "on/off" type thermostat you should choose a heatsource that has a small thermal mass. Generally with these type of thermostats you should stay away from heat cords, ceramic bulbs, heatmats etc. The thermofilm mylar heat tape may be ok, but be careful. Definately test it before eggs are due.

Normal lightbulbs have a small thermal mass and are thus suitable for use with these on/off type thermostats.

The problem with using a on/off thermostat with a heatsource that has a large thermal mass is that it can lead to large error or "overshoot" around the temperature setpoint.

To use things like ceramic heat bulbs, heatcord or resistance wire in an incubator you should pair it up with a proportional temperature controller.

I have successfully used an on/off thermostat for the past four years. This is an electronic thermostat, which kept the set temperature to within +-0.2 degrees celcius. This is with using 2 40watt bulbs as the heatsource.

This season I will be rebuilding my incubator and implimenting a proportional temperature controller.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Luke

i believe that cords are better, bulbs blow cords dont pure and simple

My main worry with heat cords is most aren't very well made and can catch fire, if not used properly.
Ones made in the US tend to be better than most.

i think you hit the nail on the head by saying "if not used propely" follow the instructions and you cant go wrong

A heat source is only as good as the thermostat controlling it, I choose to use Heat cable and heat mats because I have found them to be superior to bulbs, others may feel differently, but I can't see any disadvantages using heat cable or heat mats, unlike using bulbs with the prospect of blowing on you and heat spikes where you get a overshoot as has already been mentioned.
If you choose a good quality waterproof cable for instance it will last a lifetime!

Junglepython, when you build your new incubator using a pulse proportional stat you won't be able to use traditional bulbs, so what will you be using? What make of thermostat are you planning on using?

Neil

I will try using some resistance wire. This is what is used in electric blankets.

I have a PID temperature controller (Eurotherm). It is a self tuning model, so after the first inital start up it adjusts its parameters.

I am eager to see it in action this spring!

Cheers

Luke

ah thinking of the IMIT TA2... i think its reliable and accurate and am not willing to buy an expensive probe again cos im to pov to afford to replace it and have had bad luck with the last one i bought... im open to any suggestions on appropriate thermostats tho...
nev

Considering what a clutch of reptile eggs can be worth, I think it is silly to be a tight **** when it comes to your incubator.

If you get one extra snake to hatch then it will probably pay for it self.

But hey thats just my way of thinking.

Cheers and good luck with your incubator.

Luke

I couldn't agree more with Junglepython, it is always good to save money where you can but you should always aim towards the higher end of the market when it comes to anything for reptiles, alot of it is trail and error and just because something is expensive doesn't always mean it's going to be the best but most of the time you get what you pay for.

I've been using helix stats from the US for a while now and imo they are the best around. They are a bit expensive $142USea (i think) but they will last a lifetime and the things you can do with them is incredible.

As for heat cords i'm only speaking from an electricians point of view, personally i wouldn't use them, but then i don't trust electric blankets either :lol:

Whatever everyone decides to use, I wish you all the best of luck with your breeding and incubation this coming season. Let's hope we all have a good one!

Cheers,
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back