Heat guns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the quick response...I had a fairly good idea that they wouldn't measure air temps...but then again I was imagining maybe some sort of attachment that would allow it to reach just a couple inches in front...

On 2nd thoughts...can it read water temps if you aimed it at the surface?

I'm trying to convince myself to buy one. :)

It "should" measure water temps but just do some testing first to be certain in your application - opaque and reflective surfaces can be tricky. My ifes application is measuring hot liquids and it works well, but these are an oleofin (ie - lipid based) liquid.

Don't hesitate to get one.....They are great. I recall a fellow herper posting on a site in the last few days saying that Super Cheap Auto have one on sale for $29 that he has used and is accurate. I have not used that particular one, but the herper who recommended them is reputable.

I'm after one at the moment, any particular brands better than others? cheers
got mine off eBay $25 it's the yellow coloured one victor 303 B ... Tested agains other probe thermos and it's accurate... Also if I point laser from a foot then do same at 4 foot it changed by only 0.1 deg.... Well plzd with it

They are fantastic if used correctly, don't let the laser pointer fool you though. The only situation I have found dodgy readings is when trying to get a temp off the reflectile flashing tape I have over my heat cords.

I love mine. eBay $12 from china. Delivered in 8 days. Accurate to about 4 feet then the cone comes into play. But I love the scanning setting. That shows your gradient really well

I bought mine at Home Depot for $17. Its accurate +1/-1 to something like 4'. I use mine religiously. Shoot it right under the light for basking on your log/slate/rock or ground. That's where I worry the most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure about the calibration requirements of IR thermometers but with all of our meters at work we get them calibrated every 6 months. We find that we will get called to people's houses where a general house electrician has been and measured the volts as being high with his uncalibrated meter and when checked with ours it is up to 10 volts lower. I know that there is generally volt fluctuations throughout the day but I would not expect that much. Also I guess that a home used instrument would not get bounced around in a cupboard on a vehicle so may not require calibration as often but it may be worth thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back