Heat Rocks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMY22

Reaction score
Hello my pets, I have a question for you all.
What are your views on heat rocks? I've heard not so great things about them before, but, there are those who use them. Are they as bad as some have claimed, or are they fine to use?

I suppose it depends on what you are using them for,many people claim they are the devil.I have used them successfully for bearded dragons and blue tongues + other small lizards,which I mostly think are slightly smarter than snakes and have the brains to move off before burning (don't get upset snake lovers I like snakes too)if the rock is in good condition and no wires are exposed you should be fine

If a heat globe has an electrical fault and surges it shorts the wiring in your house. If a heat rock has an electrical fault, and your snake is on it..

The wiring for his globe blew this afternoon, it freaked me out because I had my head in the tank at the time. I'd need to get new wiring for sure. But then I may as well get a new vivarium as I am going to need an upgrade at some point too. I unplugged the cord straight away and after recovering from my mild heart attack I'm at a dilemma. He needs heating stat.

Heat rocks are quite good my teacher at school has one for her gidgee skinks and it works beautifully.

Heat rocks are quite good my teacher at school has one for her gidgee skinks and it works beautifully.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a bit confused by your last post. Nonetheless I shall try and address the points you seem to be raising.

First up, in the past heat rocks have been known to fail and this was not uncommon. They have certainly improved in recent times and are more reliable, depending on the brand – I would ask Dragonlover1 about that. The main issue with them is that when they do fail, they over-heat. This can result in major burns to the occupants. Reptiles do not have the same sort of heat receptors as humans and do not react to very hot surfaces like we would, particularly snakes (as was pointed out above). A couple of the bigger manufacturers were trying to develop a product that would go cool whenever it failed, and may well have done so by now.

The worst that should ever happen with a globe is that it might shatter if it is warm and you tip cold water on it. Usually it will flicker or just stop working. So it sounds like you may have had an electrical problem. I can only guess at the nature but it sounds like you have used just ordinary plastic light fittings, which can burn and generate carbon traces that conduct electricity and result in shorts. It is worth paying a bit extra for ceramic fittings. Plastic light fittings are designed to sit in an open area like a ceiling where free air movement can cool them.

You can set up some temporary heating, this can be achieved with hot water bottle, 4L ice cream contain etc of hot water or heat packs, wrapped in a towel and checked to ensure it is not too hot. If you have a spare aquarium heater, that in an ice cream with the lid on can be used. Even a corner of an electric blanket. An extension light or a desk lamp can also be set up but needs care with the amount of heat given out and the fact they are electrical.

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

So...you're saying..your teacher has one? At school? For her gidgee skinks??

Bluetongue1 answered this query well Amy! (hope you are well, by the way?)...

For what it's worth, I used to have a Zoo-Med Heat Cave in with Leo (YEARS ago!) - when I found out the possibility of these things shorting out and possibly being dangerous to the "occupants", I cut the cord and just use it as a cave now! :)

Best,
Carolyn

I have I think 3 heat rocks, all of which I have acquired for free when I bought enclosures etc. I've used one of them once for one night because I was wary of their reputation. These days I have a couple of spare $10 clip on lamps from bunnings, just in case I need heat temporarily for any of the tanks. They work a treat, I clip them to a tile or rock within the tank and they are quite sufficient, but I wouldn't use them on a permanent basis just because they are only rated at 40 or 60 watts, so they have to be inside the tank to provide sufficient heating.

I made my own heat rock using a 25w heat cord and a piece of Hebel block with holes drilled through it, works a treat and my stimmie loves it. I also have a 15w heat cord and tile setup which I keep as an emergency spare heat source. Heat cords seem to be almost bullet proof and can be used without a thermostat at a push.

I reckon you cannot go past heat cords for safe and efficient heating.

I’d recommend under a slate or ceramic tile. You can choose colour for the effect you want, both are good conductors of heat and so will spread the heat evenly. They also have a high specific heat which means they take a while to heat up but when a cold reptile sits lays on them, they are able to continue giving out heat rather than going cold.

By using a thin piece of MDF the same size as the tile, you can saw or rout straight grooves in it, full length and 2 or 3 cm apart. Repeat at right angles with a few grooves near each edge. Position it in the enclosure at the warm end, either touching the back wall or the end wall. Drill a 5 mm hole through the wall of the enclosure so it comes through where you want the heat cord to enter the wooden base. Insert the cord into the grooves, looping it back and forth and when finished, place the tile on top. The tile can be held with Blutack, wooden edge strip attached to the wooden base or simple metal clips, if desired or needed.

A 15 W cord will give you around 35[SUP]o[/SUP]C. You can reduce the temperature by looping less heat cord under the tile and letting some hang out the back of the cage. Wait till it fully stabilises after you have adjusted it, periodically check your temps and you should not need a thermostat for it (as suggested above). Even if you have a thermostat, you should be checking temps periodically to ensure they are working correctly, so it really isn’t any more effort required.

Blue

I always use a thermostat but the good thing about heat cords is the fact you can use without one unlike a lot of other heat sources. Sods law dictates the most needed piece of equipment will only blow up when the shops are shut! So buy a 15 or 25w heat cord off eBay or similar and keep in your drawer for emergencies.

I use a $15 dollar 15w heat cord and a $15 dollar thermostat and my temps are always the same and there both of eBay :)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions (and I'm doing rather well Carolyn thankyou :)). I gave my Montaloons my hot water bottle for temporary toastiness last night before posting this thread, I didn't think he'd use it but he's quite content. I on the other hand am now suffering the perils of winter for his sake.
I'm intrigued by this heat cord, I looked it up and can apparently get one for around $26. That price is for a 15 watt cord.

I'm not a fan, I got given one, I used it for about 20 mins testing it out of curiousity, almost cooked my hand when I checked it needless to say it went straight in the bin. Not only are they prone to failure but I don't like the look either. Personally I think a heat cord or heat mat under a nice natural piece of slate or other flat rock or even a stone tile, set on a thermostat is much nicer to look at and much safer for your herps. But hey that might just be me

I should have mentioned that heat cords are also very cheap to purchase. Following is the current range and prices as supplied by the Herp Shop... 15W 4.0m = $20; 25W 4.3m = $25; 50W 6.0m = $30; 80W 9m = $35. Totally excellent value in my opinion and if you real want to you can shop around and get even cheaper prices on them.

Blue

I went to the store and found that a new lighting cord and fitting was cheaper than a heat cord, so I got that. I am still thinking of getting a heat cord for any time this may happen again.

Amy, part of the problem is that you have not told us what reptile you have. Some reptiles need a basking light for deriving their heat and perhaps UVB. Others do not need the light and are happrier in not basking under a light, but deriving their heat from warm but sheltered rocks in nature. These reptiles benefit most from bottom heat.

So it would help to know what we are dealing with to give you the best advice.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back