Heat Rocks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I mentioned running heat cords without thermostats and said “periodically check your temps” I was referring to doing so on an on-going basis as part of your regular maintenance.

Heat cords convert electricity into heat at a set rate. The temperature reached will depend upon a number of facts, such as the area over which the cord is applied, the current ambient temperature where the cord is located and the rate at which heat is able to dissipate.

A thermostat will certainly allow you to maintain a relatively steady temperature by turning the cord on/off or up/down accordingly. If your enclosure is located in a temperature controlled environment such as an air conditioned house or shed, then it is often possible to get a more adequate result without the need for a thermostat. If the enclosure is located where temperature changes are at least buffered and therefore ambient temperatures are relatively stable, it is also possible to get adequate performance out one without a thermostat. It might require some physical adjustment, but if you need to do that on a regular basis, you’d be better off with a thermostat. The bottom line is that it depends upon your individual circumstances in each enclosure.

One point I would like emphasise, is that it is prudent to use the lowest wattage heating required when using a thermostat. Thermostats do on occasions fail and invariably result in uncontrolled heating. Excessive heat can and does quickly kill reptiles. You can minimise the chance of that happening by minimising the potential output of your heating elements in the first place.

Blue

Thankyou Ian but I think I just do less in more detail. I always was a pain for that. As for spelling, thank God for ‘spellcheck’ - I have finally stopped wearing out the dictionary.

no the retile one doesn't have a thermostat. The advice i was given was "its only a low wattage device, so it wont get hot enough to burn anything". Not slagging off the seller, he may have had great luck with them - but i didn't from my experience.
Looks like the thermostat heat rock you have is a top selling brand in china. Hence the reason its on e-bay. It has an excellent write up.
what type of reptile one have you been looking at ? , my mate got a reptile one heat rock with inbuilt on-off thermostat , im not personally a fan of them but his had it going for over a year now with no problems at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back