Heating tile self made

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

First i have to advice that people who have no skill to do this type of handiwork should not doit.
I am using this type of heating for number of years and they work excellent for me. Stone or tile absorb the heat and release it slowly, so temperature in the cage is more steady.
First iI wind wire from old electric blanket around the tile.
Solder the contacts to lead and put isolation tape where need it.
179_7970.sized.jpg

After i apply silicone to glue tiles to cover wiring.
179_7975.sized.jpg

Then put the tile with wire between 2 other tiles and wait til silicone harden.
179_7976.sized.jpg

After i seal the edges with ducting tape and make sure that tape is nice and waterproof so i can wipe it in case of faeces stuck on it.
179_7977.sized.jpg

And this is complete product.
179_7979.sized.jpg

Good one

That's very cool, Slatey! (Pun intended :wink: ). I take it this is for larger snakes, as there is a gap between the two tiles. How does this rate re electricity usage?

David i am sorry you looked at half of article that is why you are confused. No gaps when job is finished.

aHA!

Boy is my face red! :oops: Thanks Slatey :oops:

TOP IDEA.....
Mabey you could put some smaller tiles instead of the duct tape, to reduce any chance of liquid of getting thru ? (like the ones you see edging bathroom walls). Now if you were to inline wire a IMIT thermostat on the tile (protected of course) you will have a market for those little babies !!! A plug in and go heat source.....hmmmmmm

Ben

That is realy cool Slatey!
I need something exactly like that for my Olive's new house.
I will definately show this to Mark...

My beautifull Nicole, Just get me Old blanket and i will make you one.

Slatey old boy you are so incorrigible! You do of course know that even if you make the tile Nicole will still love me more ????? :)

hey great idea, but how safe is it? r u a sparky slateman? would love a custom sized one for monty. how warm do they get?

Safe enough for me mate if is properly done.
It is as hot as much wire you put on it.
The one i done here is quite hot, but my snakes like to lay on it anyway

Slateman can I ask what the measurements are on that one you did?
It looks big then with the photo with the glue gun it looks smaller.
Its late I'm going to bed.
Nice job.

Tile is 300x300 size and i used full lenght from single blanket app. 4 m long.

Very cool idea slatey, i`m even eyeing off my electric blanket now, LOL

though seens as i blew the fuses in my house twice wiring up a thermostat i`ll leave this one well alone :)

I think you hit on an important point there Slatey old boy. The element is actually just resistance wire which therefore varies its resistance with length and as such it's current draw and heat produced also varies with length. The length of the wire is calculated to produce a given heat at a given voltage and hopefully this is also calculated for its efficiency and safety so any adjustment of length making it shorter will also make it hotter and more prone to burning out.

I had this impression to mate, but Greg friend of mine used only half lenght and his rock is much coulder, he have his tile about 6 months now no problem. This is confusing me bit. I am always using full lenght whitch is in the blanket and snakeys love it.

Best would be if you try afro and let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back