Hello everyone :) I need some advice on my 13 week old central bearded dragon. PLEASE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslair27

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new proud owner of a 13 week old beardie. However I am in desperate need of some advice, as I was ill informed from the Pet Store and Google has just made me more confused then ever!
I purchased "Prickles" only four days ago. When I first set up his/her tank I used sand (as I was told from the pet shop) but to my disgust found out that this was not a good substrate to use as it will cause problems, so I'm now using newspaper. My set up is pretty basic I have a heat rock, porcelain lamp, brick and a small thick stick.
I was told to feed him/her once a day in the morning with some pre-made pet shop food and four crickets which I coat in calcium. However I am terrified that I'm not feeding him/her enough. Also I have noticed Prickles is starting to shed, when is the best time to bathe? Morning or night?
Please if you have any advice I would be soo grateful. Thanks

Sand is not a huge issue, just feed your beardie on a plate to avoid it getting too many sand grains by accident. I would try and get your beardie eating greens, it's very healthy for them and will also cut your food bills in the future. Greens like bok choy, carrot tops and celery tops are favorites of mine as well as dandelion and nasturtium flowers

"Prickles"... love it!

I'm not much of a "beardie guy" but I do know a thing or two that'll help.

1. You are correct, sand sucks. Tried it, it looks great, but does nothing for the smell and gets everywhere! I found the "Ozipet" pressed hardwood kitty litter looks great and helps with the smell.
2. That is heaps of food but... "Pre-made pet shop food"? Sounds like a rort. Chopped up lettuce, carrots, peas, kale, etc... is cheap, easy, and healthy! I alternate bugs one day, greens the next.
3. Toss the heat rock in the bin, they cause burns and fires. Overhead heat lamp and UV lamp setup is the best way to go.
4. Leave him alone during the shed cycle. He'll know what to do.

Hope this helps! :D

Sand is not recommended for young dragons because they are messy eaters and can eat too much of it.

You don't need to use calcium every feed. Maybe once a week.

Four crickets doesn't sound like enough but I'm not sure what's in the pet store food as I have never used it. Young dragons prefer a mostly insect diet so you could probably stop using the pellets for now. Feed as many crickets as they can eat in 10 min once a day. Try to leave some bokchoy or dandelions in for them to graze.

You don't need to bathe during shed as long as you provide a tub of water in the cool end of the tank. Perhaps a light misting from a spray bottle if you wish. The dragon's seem to enjoy licking the water off their head.

Do you have a UV light in the tank? You will need one. Or minimum 1 hour of direct sunlight.(not through a window as glass doesn't let uv through) every day, maximum every second day.

A ceramic heat lamp probably wasnt the best choice as they like to bask. You need to imitate the sun for them. A basking light or even a halogen light is good for this. You want their basking spot to average around 40°c.

Depending on the average ambient temperature where you live, you might not need night time heat.

Best time to feed them is...... Whenever you like! As long as they have some time to bask afterwards as the hest aids digestion.

As far as cage decoration goes. The more you have, the less bored your beardie will be. Minimum is a hide for them to sleep in, a water bowl, a rock to bask on and a stick to climb on. Mine never seem to use the hide though.

Hope this helps! Feel free to pm me with any q's

As your dragon gets a little older, moving them onto sand won't be a drama. Once they come into adult hood they swap to a mostly vegetarian diet. Mine are around 1.5 yrs old and I only feed them insects around three times a week and leave a variety of greens for them to munch on as they please. Sometimes some flowers too.

Last edited:
Thank you sooo much for your advice, Prickles is so much happier. He/she is now eating almost ten crickets every morning. As I don't have any dandelions or bokchoy, I have been mushing up (looks like baby food) some carrot, broccoli, apple and cucumber together and leaving that in a small dish for a few hours, is this okay to do or should I be leaving it in there all day? I do have a UV light bulb which is in the porcelain lamp. As for misting I haven't tried it yet as the pet shop gave me expired "Repti 5 Safe" which conditions the water, do I need to use this or is tank or town water good enough? In saying that I have been using tank water in a shallow dish for Prickles to drink from. Once again thank you so much for your advice and your time in replying to my questions. Thank you :p

I personally wouldnt worry about conditioning the water. The jug I raided from the kitchen for my reptiles does have a filter thing but I don't think I would worry if it wasnt.

I don't cut up or mix up the veges as they seem to enjoy tearing and ripping it up

i would get a phillips flood light from bunnings(3 bucks) for basking and a 10.0 uv(they are a long tube) when he grows up u can cut down to a 5.0uv.most of my beardys always ate 15-20 criks/woods a day while young but slowly turn to veg as they get older,keep offering veg even if they don't eat it they will one day.i would bathe him once a week to keep him hydrated also aids shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back