Hello :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewPythonMum

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I joined this forum as a way of getting information on the best type of python for our family. Having only owned a 12 month old (what was told to be a stimpsons?? python) boy called Axel. He was not at all friendly and eventually went to a handler down south who was passing through and adopted him.

My son, 6 years old and my daughter, 3 years old share my love of all animals and especially birds and reptiles.

My boys birthday is coming up and he has been begging for a python since he could talk and could understand what one was!! :D So im considering a new family addition soon!

Could anyone give me any idea as to what best would suit children? The kids would obviously never be left unattended with the snake (as has always been the case with the baby birds and rodents they have handled ;) ) nor will the enclosure be kept in a busy location, most likely my bedroom where i have a lock on the bedroom door ;) just incase or in the foyer to my apartment which is generally quiet as i dont get much traffic through the door once home lol..... :(

any advice is greatly appreciated! Once i know what im aiming for ill post in the trading post section rather then pet shop i think....

Anyway...Hello!

Hi. Im new here too! I currently do not have a snake. Im looking into getting a stimson and have spent a lot of time with my mum's partner's snakes. He has stimson pythons, carpet pythons and woma's. From what Ive read, hear from other people and observed with his snakes, Stimson Pythons sound like the most friendly. =]

Last edited:
Welcome! You had the right idea for a start. An adult stimson or spotted is a good choice because they usually have a good temperament, don't get too big and are quite hardy. Make sure to see and handle the animal before purchase so you know whether it is placid or not. Don't worry about getting an older animal - they live for 20 - 30 years. I got a stimson for my daughter when she was in year 2 and a spotted for my son. 10 years later, the snakes are still placid, although the kids are no longer so interested. Instead, I've got the bug and now breed Darwins and (hopefully this year) womas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back