help building jungle enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice what did u use for :
the feet
the thermostat
to cover the bare edges like inside the cutout for the doors

what went in them?

The feet are those things you put on the bottom of doors so they don't slam into the wall, the thermos are habistat 600W dimming thermostats and for the edges you can get iron on melamine stripping for that specific thing.
It's for my pair of maccies :)

oh yeah i got the iron on stuff but you did well to iron it around them corners in the doors..
thanks saximus

Yeah a little iron and a lot of patience is the secret. Glad to help out. Yours is coming along nicely make sure you post more as it gets closer to being done

what is the best to put in this for heat- one of those red bulbs or ceramic?
and if i go ceramic, how do i know what wattage to get?

It really comes down to personal opinion between globes or heat emitters. I personally don't like the emitters any more and I will be replacing all of mine with globes as they blow. They are too expensive and don't last long enough to be worth it, especially if you use an on/off thermo. I also read somewhere that someone made the point emitters don't give you a basking spot, they sort of just heat up the whole general area. So if you want/need an actual basking spot you will need globes.
Wattage also depends on your enclosure design (ventilation, size etc). You might need to experiment with different sizes to get the right temps if you don't get a response from someone who knows what they're talking about :p

any new enclosure i build now will be getting radiators installed

Heating for the initial outlay they are sorta expensive but not replacing globes/ceramics for 10 years = win

from research snakes dont require a basking spot just a hot end to get their body temps up

thanks!
any other opinions on ceramic v's infra red globes?

Got a 6mm acrylic door made up with acrylic hinges and two locks. Fitted it tonight and it looks really good!
Also got some wheels happening which are able to lock once the enclosure is in position.
Now to wire this thing up and get a vent put in. I am thinking ceramic with a compact fluorescent and a habistat pulse thermostat.

Looks great, would you mind listing your methods and materials used? Also, where did you get the acrylic door from?

materials so far

Looks great, would you mind listing your methods and materials used? Also, where did you get the acrylic door from?
sure...
i got the 16mm melamine in five sheets:
1200x595 for the back (no cutting needed)
two 1200x445mm pieces for the sides (no cutting needed)
another 1200x445 for the piece below door (cut the 445 in half and 595 wide, gives me another piece for my second enclosure)
1800x445 for the top and bottom cut at bunnings (595+[16x2])x2
$70

iron on edging for the bare edges
countersunk chipboard screws
white melamine stickers that cover the screws
wheels
no more gaps inside joins (but i think white silicon would be better)

i went to a perspex place and gave them the dimensions and asked for 6mm.
they laser cut the door and the holes for the locks and even glued the hinges on for me. $130

So the whole thing cost you $200? That's great! I already have lights and things, but apparently my snakes will outgrow their enclosures soon enough!

I don't have any tools here, though. They are all back home, I've moved out to rent closer to uni... Where did you get all the supplies from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back