Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
A Mate of mine has these guys he wants to get rid of. Now he has gone away and i can't contact him so i wanted to get a positive ID on these guys.

Its the skinny one with the more stripey pattern I'm after an ID on. A central netted? Just a different pattern?

The question i have about the fat one is would it be gravid? Whilst holding her i felt her stomach softly, and i think i could feel eggs but i have NO CLUE if she is and neither would my mate.

I'll get these guys if my licence ever comes through? but would like to know that they are definanty a pair first.

Attachments

• Reptiles 001.jpg
    Reptiles 001.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Reptiles 002.jpg
    Reptiles 002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Reptiles 005.jpg
    Reptiles 005.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Reptiles 003.jpg
    Reptiles 003.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Reptiles 004.jpg
    Reptiles 004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 75
I don't think the one with the stripes is a CND. Painted Dragon maybe - not too sure? And the other one, not too sure about it either, could be a CND. Geckodan is probably the best person to ask here.

I'll put my money on Ctenophorus salinarum

Last edited:
Hey Jordo whats the common name for what you've just suggested?

I'm thinking a painted dragon (wont bet on it) but i'll take central netted to the bank for the last one.

Ill go Ctenophorus pictus for the first ones and C nuchalis for the last two.

Cheers
Jordan

Hey Jordo whats the common name for what you've just suggested?

I'm thinking a painted dragon (wont bet on it) but i'll take central netted to the bank for the last one.

No idea, its something that has a very small chance of being in captivity :lol:

waruikazi,

He is away at the moment mate and isn't able to be contacted. Just wanted to get a ID so i can have a answer before he gets back.

hey guys lay off he said its his friends (although his licenced friend wouldnt buy an animal not knowing its species name or common name)

urodacus_au is spot on! both quite common. Painted dragons, and the end one is a central netted, centrals flatten to get maximum surface area heated, so it may not be gravid, but then again it could be, dont squeeze it to feel eggs, let it be and it will lay if it has any? both species are short lived and breed fast. Only a few years in em, sometime only a couple of years depending how old you buy them.

Looking again, those are my best educated guesses, although if it werent for the head shape in the first images, id be inclined to tell you it wouldnt be the first striped netted ive seen either! but i stand by these being painted

urodacus_au is spot on! both quite common. Painted dragons, and the end one is a central netted, centrals flatten to get maximum surface area heated, so it may not be gravid, but then again it could be, dont squeeze it to feel eggs, let it be and it will lay if it has any? both species are short lived and breed fast. Only a few years in em, sometime only a couple of years depending how old you buy them.

Looking again, those are my best educated guesses, although if it werent for the head shape in the first images, id be inclined to tell you it wouldnt be the first striped netted ive seen either! but i stand by these being painted

yep. from those pics good choice i reckon you two

So where did you find them?

Guys,

I'm against taking animals from the wild.

I gave my friends brother a call today and he said there is a painted and a central netted. He said the male to the central netted died due to a unknown cause the other day. Please don't accuse me of taking things from the wild with no proof and when you do not know me. :p

Thanks for all the help guys.

Sam.

Ive found salinarum over here in WA, quite common on the larger salt lakes. To my knowledge theyre only found in WA.
Heard them referred to as clay pan dragons aswell, better off stickin' to the latin.

Jordan

I agree with Dragon Tail.

The first is a PAINTED DRAGON (Ctenophorus pictus) and the other is a CENTRAL NETTED DRAGON (Ctenophorus nuchalis). The size indicates to me it's likely to be female.

The netted may be gravid or just well fed, if she is gravid it's still in an early stage, if she hasn't laid within the next month it's safe to assume she isn't gravid. The only exception to this is if she does seem to rapidly gain weight, display bulges in the abdomen and is seen straining which may mean she's egg-bound. It's possible that if she's being moved around a bit or is not provided with adequate temperature (at least a 35˚ basking temp) and laying area it can become very serious, even deadly.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back