Help on 2 in 1?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JET

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've asked this in another forum but haven't heard from anyone.
I want to get a Bredli but don't have the funds or space for another enclosure just yet. Could i keep a bredli in the same enclosure as my diamond (10month old) providing they are the same sex to prevent crossbreeding?
Space and money limitations will be overcome by the time they're big enough need their own enclosures.

Jet, search the old threads, this sort of question is asked a lot. IMO, I never do and never will keep any two snakes together apart from breeding. Others keep two or more of the same species, others keep two or more of diferent species. Ask yourself... are you willing to accept the risk of coming home to two dead snakes to save $200 on a cage?

It can be done but it is not recommended. If you are limited by money and space then perhaps you should wait until you have both before buying a Bredli.

Thanks for your opinion Magpie. I see your point. My thoughts are that while they're young and breeding isn't on their minds that there wouldn't be much of a problem. I was just worried about their differing habitat requirements. I've never kept Bredli's before but get the impression they'd like it hotter than diamonds which would lead me to believe they'd spend most of their time and different ends of the cage. This is only my optimistic thought of course.
Any one else got any input or links to any old threads that have been through this?
I probably will wait until i get a new enclosure, but i've wanted a Centralian for ages so i want it NOW! I want to get an olive too, but that will be down the track.

Maybe you could put in a mesh divider while you wait for your new enclosure. This way the heat is still distributed but the snakes can't physically touch each other. But I have not had that experience, just a suggestion. :roll:

I was just worried about their differing habitat requirements.
I didn't even think of that. I change my answer to NO. Ideally Diamonds should be kept with a day and a night temp as it is my opinion that keeping them too hot shortens their lifespan.

I agree with Greebo, the climatic differences from where they each originate are extreme....it's hard but i think u just gotta be patient..

Jet I can lend you small enclosure, till you do not get your own mate.

My thoughts are that while they're young and breeding isn't on their minds that there wouldn't be much of a problem.

isnt when they're young the time that they're more likely to be eating other reptiles in the wild? as in maybe they'd be more likely to snack on each other cos it'd be more natural for them?

Thanks for the advice and the offers everyone, but it looks like all my troubles could be solved.
Noticed and ad on herp trader yesterday and making a few enquiries there. Everything should be sweet, just got to get the funds together now. Story of every herpers life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back