Help on identifying this little guy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. It has legs. Therefore not a Pygopodidea (legless lizard family).
Smooth, overlaping scales. Therefore Scinidae (skink family).
From the head, body and tail shape plus the posture, I can immediately say genus Cyclodomorphus and one of the She-oak skinks – based on sight recognition. However, you can be more analytical.

Moderately large, ear opening obvious, limbs all well developed and appear to have 5 digits. This narrows it down to one of several of the larger skink families.
Long. Slender tail and lacking triangular shaped head. Not Tiliqua (Bluetongue genus).
With the toes on the hind limb, the fourth toe will be about the same length as the fifth toe. Not Ctenotus, Egernia, Liopholis, Erimascincus, Eulampris (all the other potentially large skinks) as these have thr fourth toe much longer than the fifth. So Cyclodomrphus it is.

The none triangular head and long thin tail syas it is one of the three She-oak Skink species. This is supported by the edging to the scales and the dark eys that looks a bit like eye-liner has been used. It is least likely to be an Alpine SS. It is more typical of the Tasmanian SS (which also occurs in coastal NSW) but may also be a patternless form of the Mainland SS. So...

Tasmainian She-oak Skink (Cyclodomorphus. casurinae) or possibly Mainland She-oak Skink (C. michaeli).
Bottom line... a She-oak Skink.

Blue

There was only one page of posts when I started this reply.

Aussie-pride I'll give you a bonus point for going about the right way. Well done!

Shreknkell, I would like to apologise for the criticism levelled at you after you had explained the circumstances. You have no responsibility, directly or indirectly, for the animal and you should not have to repeat that several times over. The reality is that you are trying to have a little bit of positive input by providing a correct ID. If I read between he lines correctly, you are hoping that knowledge might ultimately benefit the lizard.

So good on ya for doing this! You get two thumbs up from me.

Blue

Thankyou so very much Blue.... :).... It seems a general consensus that he is a she-oak Skink and I thankyou all for your input... At least now more research and reading can go in to knowing how to care for him (mind you not they aren't doing a good job the little fella has grownand is eating well so that has to be something right)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back