Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie97

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok my dad saved this blue tongue off the road
its feet look blackend and burnt it has ticks in his ears and has some white scales can you help us as to what we can do to help it?
thankyou

the photos aren't real good will try get some more afterSAM_0778.jpgSAM_0782.jpgSAM_0784.jpg

do you have picture of the ticks ? You can pull the ticks out by the head and offer him some water and a hide. I would suggest to call your local wildlife people or to just release it back into the bush

Keep it as a pet, it doesn't look bad to me, the white scales just look like little scrapes he has had, I doubt the feet a really a worry and you can just pull those ticks out with tweezers.

I had to check to be sure but both my eastern blueys have black bottoms on their feet so I'd say that's just the normal color, take the ticks off him and send hm back out, he'll be fine. :)

In Tassie it's legal to keep a wild blue-tongue as a pet if you have a licence. The black feet is normal and so are the white patches - some of mine have had them too.

I would just remove the ticks and let it go.

I also found a Bluey on the road today - it wasn't quite so lucky :(

Reptiles and amphibians are protected in Tasmania under the Nature Conservation Act 2002 and the Threatened Species Protection Act 1995.
  • They may not be taken or kept in captivity without a permit with the following exceptions:
    • up to six specimens of each of the common froglet, brown tree frog, metallic skink and spotted skink may be collected outside of National Parks and other reserves and kept without a permit;
    • frogs eggs and tadpoles may be taken and kept without a permit. A tadpole becomes a frog when its tail is absorbed. If metamorphosed frogs are not the above species, they should be returned to their water body of origin.
  • People who wish to take and/or keep other species must obtain a Herpetology Permit from the Wildlife Management Branch, Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE).
  • A Herpetology Permit allows the collecting and keeping of most Tasmanian reptiles and amphibians in accordance with aCode of Practice.
  • Buying and selling of reptiles and amphibians is not permitted but free exchange is allowed.
  • A Scientific Permit is required to catch reptiles or amphibians in National Parks or other reserves.
  • A Scientific Permit is required to collect or keep species protected under the Threatened Species Protection Act 1995; and the Tussock skink, Glossy grass skink and Moss frog.
  • A Scientific Permit is also required for collecting and keeping more than six specimens of any reptile or amphibian.
  • Keeping dead reptiles and amphibians is also subject to permit requirements.
  • Removal or killing of snakes which threaten people or domestic animals is allowed without a permit.
  • Herpetology permits are renewed annually and subject to an annual return of animals collected and/or in captivity.

it is legal i hold a herpetology permit

In Tassie it's legal to keep a wild blue-tongue as a pet if you have a licence. The black feet is normal and so are the white patches - some of mine have had them too.

I find that amazing considering how strict they are with other rules.

you cant sell or buy only capture natives from the wild or get them "donated" to you

G'day Tassie,

Your Blue-tongue is in perfect health. Ticks are a natural part of the ecology of these animals and do not need to be removed if you are going to release it. If you're going to keep it as a pet, it is probably a good idea to remove them...make sure you get your tweezers nice and close to the head and gently pull them out. Sometimes people are a bit off the mark and they'll break the head off inside the host animal, which can lead to an infection.

its feet kinda look like toasted marshmallows...
we got about 3-4 ticks out of its ears but there is more here is some better pics
DSC01832.jpgDSC01834.jpgDSC01835.jpgDSC01836.jpg

Do me a favor buddy and take a picture side on the head and then also But if you give me some pics ill give you soem exciting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back