Help! Something's wrong with my Bearded Dragon!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashby

Reaction score
Hi,
I am worried about my lizard (central Bearded Dragon). He is 18 mths old and I have had him since he was about 2mths. This winter (since about mid-may) he has been really slow and un-active, he refuses to eat crickets, salad or drink any water. Recently I put in a hidey-hole cave thing and he spends pretty much all the time in there 'asleep'. I started turning his lights off for most of the day (as it seemed a waste considering he only comes out to bask twice a week or so). He has only 'relieved' himself once in about a month and a half. Since he first started 'sleeping' I have given him a few baths and changed his UV light. I am so worried! He has never done this before, what should I do?

Thanks

does sound like brumation, he didnt do it last year because he was too young.

leave his lights on incase he decides to bask, if he doels take food make sure he poos it out beforle going back to sleep,....

Lights on, thermo set to 30-35. Central beardies come from central Australia, even in the coldest time of the year the day time temp won't get as cold as Sydney, lights cold go off a night but not during the day.

Really? So I'm not doing anything wrong?
Is he fine without eating, I mean is it possible for him to have deficiency's in calcium, vitamins etc. ?

Don't worry, Beardies can go a long time without eating when they're in the mood! :)

I have a little female dragon who has suprised me by doing the same thing. SHe hasn't eaten for a couple of weeks now. She just spends most of her time sleeping, basking every now and then. Give it another month or so and they will all start to snap out of it. Cheers

Mine are already starting to bask, eat and trying to mate.:)

aarrgghh, mine havent even slowed down, i keep waiting for some kind of sign,.....!

I guess some won't go into hibernation mode if the temps are right for them and some do. I bought a pair of CBD's with one going into sleep mode and the other didn't, I boosted the temps and ensured they got a decent day/night cycle. Eventually sleepy-head came to and started behaving normally, took a month to do so.
My advice to you (if you really want to wake it up), boost temps. In my situation I had a hot area approx 39C, and cooler area approx 28C. Goodluck.

Yer I have 3 Pygmy bearded dragon and the male has just been sleepping all day but I guess he had a late night lastnight he stays up way past the other dragons he stays up all night. Also what the signs of mating in new to the bearded dragons haha.

Chris1 ours havent stopped atall neither, he's spent the last couple of months doing all the frantic head bobbing, she's waved like mad, he does all the butting and biting and jumping on her, then 'poops' on her, looking very pleased with himself!! I hope he doesn't think that's it!!

my girls been awake and fairly active, she is also eating normally but today i found her up in the corner curled up so she's have a nap

her hot end gets to the high 30's but she usually spends her days in the middle of the enclosure and only goes under the basking light when shes had a feed or first wakes up, my thermostat is set to cut off when the middle of the enclosure reaches 33 (under the basking lights usually high 30's then) this seems to suit her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back