HELP what lizard to get

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan9495

Not so new Member
Reaction score
im looking for water dragons nothing over $130 wondering if theyre good to have how to care for them and if i should get 2 or 1

if anyone has any share your opinions and if anyone is selling them i would like to buy some but not any time soon

maybe next april

they're really cool, saw many at the zoo wandering around.

Are you looking for a lizard that can be handled?
If so, a water dragon may not be the best option as they are fairly skittish.
As they get larger there claws also get bigger, and no fault to them they will jump off your arm etc and leave a nice little scratch for you. They do make a great display animal though.

im looking for a pretty big lizard that i can handle maybe once a day

but no bearded dragons

whats wrong with bearded dragons
water dragons are good, but they get quite big, so there best kept outside. rrom for them to rn around that way. hope i helped

Water dragons require a fairly large cage as adults. they are also realy fast about 5x faster then u can run. so if it gets out of your hands its gone. maybe you'd be better of saving and getting a small monitor?

People still pay for Water Dragons??? LOL, Personally WD's are best kept in pits, or very large enclosures as they get quite big and usually don't settle in as well as other dragons. IMO one of the best dragons to keep are Mountain Dragons, these tiny guys settle in better than Beardy's, live in groups better than Beardy's and eat a stack less than Beardy's, they need minimal heating and live quite a long time.

Beardeds, shingle backs, pygmy beardeds (although they are smaller), netted dragons (also small), cunningham skink (i personally would'nt recommend as they are often snappy and not as sociable), blue tongues.

Water dragons get large requiring a large habitat and obviously a decent water trough must be included and running water depending on how fancy your enclosure is going to be is a good idea, especially the males, they are not as sociable as the dragons mentioned above and like the others said their claws get large, it is possible to clip them but they arn't going to sit through it quite as easily as say a bearded.

People get thrown off the idea of having beardeds because they are getting increasingly common as pets, the reason being because they are so wonderful, but judging by what you want i would say shinglebacks are the best option, they can be quite sociable and require much the same level of care as a blue tongue, also the males get large up tp 40cm, they can be in a tank with blue tongues or beardeds but DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Last edited:
Water dragons require a fairly large cage as adults. they are also realy fast about 5x faster then u can run. so if it gets out of your hands its gone. maybe you'd be better of saving and getting a small monitor?

Neither monitors or water dragons like being handled, a monitor will disapear just as fast if not faster than a water dragon too. Smaller monitors are probably smaller than what they want and bigger monitors are dangerous, especially if you want to hold them.

just get a bearded dragon if you wait get a bright red one very few people have those so it will be differant and easy to care for but as mentioned before do your research find out what they need and what you need in order to care for them properly no point going in half cocked and then ending up with a sic or dead animal

Oh and always buy from a breeder unless of course you know the breeder that the store get's it's reptiles from.

see i have 2 snakes and now i want something wit legs and i want something that move and is pretty big i wanted a monitor but heard how there pretty dangerous and i dont want blueys or beardies because thay dont move so no to water dragons because there fast how about geckos
are there any big ones

What about a Jacky? They roughly grow to 30cm including tail are active little buggers and my two go great with handling.

no really big ones (geckos) in aust that i know of and you cant really handle geckos they tend to stress to much. what do you mean beardies dont move they are always getting around except when sleeping or basking and realisticaly you cant have it both ways either you want a really active pet or one you can handle its really hard to have both thats y beardies are good they arent flighty same with bluies and shingle backs. monitors are active but not really great handlers even the pygmy ones. and wd get big and are flighty your kinda stuck there

No large geckos that are suitable for that much handling, beardies are actually quite interesting especially watching two interact (though i do not recommend you try and house two together as a first timer beardie owner)

Definetly shinglebacks, they get large, you can handle them, they can be a bit fiesty, but no harm done.

k thanks maybe shinglebacks are the way 2 go where do u get them

k thanks maybe shinglebacks are the way 2 go where do u get them

I suggest a breeder, ask your local pet stores, even look in the yellow pages/internet, ask around etc.

If you really struggle to find any breeders then look at herp shops that look like all the reptiles are in good order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back