help with iding this snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshere_69

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My mum is in blackbutt in queensland and is having some snake problems i live in tasmania so im not to sure on some of the snakes and she sent me a picture of this snake:

poY9i.jpg

Sorry about the quality it was on her ancient phone

im thinking it may be a Eastern Brown Snake?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Adam

That looks like a Green Tree Snake, but in a very bad way.. What happened to it?

Not sure what has happened to it, this is the second today
one was a brown snake
this is one i didnt really know what it was, i thought it could of been a brown because it looks liek its shedding and thought that might be there "new" colour. are they. is it an elapid or jsut a normal python?

They are Rear Fanged Venomous,They are known as Colubrids (I think), and not harmful to humans and are generally not likely to bite humans.

Last edited:
Despite the poor pics (which are better than nothing for identification purposes), we can fairly confidently say that it's a Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulatus).
It's totally harmless, so I hope that someone hasn't injured or killed it, as it looks like it's in terrible pain.
What's the story behind it or do we not want to know?

They are Rear Fanged Venomous.They are known as Colubrids (I think), and not harmful to humans and are generally not likely to bite humans.
You got the last bit right Moose, but they are not rear fanged or venomous. Some colubrids are, but these are not amongst them.

Last edited:
You got the last bit right Moose, but they are not rear fanged or venomous. Some colubrids are, but these are not amongst them.

Agreed, they're solid-toothed yeah? Adam if someone's belted that snake then they were unable to identify it as harmless and so unable to be sure that the other snake you mentioned was a brown. It's worth telling them that a LOT of snake bites ar ethe result of people trying to kill snakes and that the right idea is to leave them be if possible and to contact a relocator if there are any in the area. No snake is looking to hurt people and if given a wide berth they never will.

Well there you go, I've always read that they are Rear fanged, so I apologise for the bad info! The more you know aye.

Last edited:
No worries mate. You were only trying to help and books often generalise about Colubrids being rear-fanged venomous, so it's totally understandable. I'm glad that you don't mind being corrected.

CamdeJong, I'm pretty sure that Dendrelaphis teeth are all solid but I'm not sure. Most of us thought that all of our lizards were non-venomous until fairly recently, so you never know.
Perhaps someone will discover one day that some of our non-venomous Colubrids have a few slightly grooved teeth and saliva that paralyses frogs and fish??

Last edited:
I was told recently that all venomous snakes have "hypodermic" fangs and that grooved fangs is a myth? is this wrong? When i was working in a zoo maybe 10 or more years ago part of our snake show talk was about grooved fangs in australian venomous snakes. I was "corrected" on this site saying that recent studies have shown all australian venomous snakes have hypodermic fangs?

Last edited:
Snakebag....I think they were talking about Elapids. Colubrids usually have grooved fangs in the rear of the mouth. They need to "chew" the venom into the wounds.

It's worth telling them that a LOT of snake bites are the result of people trying to kill snakes and that the right idea is to leave them be if possible and to contact a relocator if there are any in the area. No snake is looking to hurt people and if given a wide berth they never will.

Very good point. Looks like the poor snake was the victim of some hero, sadly they'll only learn when one day they come up against a snake that's quicker on the draw than them... But even then the snake will be the bad guy :C.

No worries mate. You were only trying to help and books often generalise about Colubrids being rear-fanged venomous, so it's totally understandable. I'm glad that you don't mind being corrected.

CamdeJong, I'm pretty sure that Dendrelaphis teeth are all solid but I'm not sure. Most of us thought that all of our lizards were non-venomous until fairly recently, so you never know.
Perhaps someone will discover one day that some of our non-venomous Colubrids have a few slightly grooved teeth and saliva that paralyses frogs and fish??

I don't mind at all, I'm still learning and I actually like when I find out new things so ;)

Well whatever it is im guessing that after a photo with a mouthful of blood it is no longer alive.......thats sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back