Help with incubating beardy eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddubtoille

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm have a bit of issues with my first bearded dragon clutch.
So I actually got these just over a week ago off a friend who has bred these countless times and this year can't be bothered keeping the eggs and offered them to me, and so when I got them all 21 where in 2 containers like the Pisces cricket containers with vermiculite and water. I put them straight into the incubator and have been checking on them pretty much every day, the temp is at about 31 and humidity in the incubator is only about 60-80 but they are in the containers with their lids on and there is ALWAYS condensation on the lids, so I figured they mustn't need spraying because it seems quite humid in the boxes.

My issues I'm having is that most of them have 1 dimple (I know it generally means needs more water) but they already seem so humid, so much that when I checked yesterday there was MOULD on the vermiculite! So I imediately made a fresh batch and put them in their new boxes.
So what do I do? It's too damp that's its moulding but not damp enough that they aren't swollen.
Also I noticed today one egg appears to be a bit blue... So I'm assuming it no good?

the only thing I can think of to fix my hydration issue is to have more frequent small sprays
any help would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Blue egg..... Definateky not lookin so good

14C5573D-09CC-4ED0-A017-BD261AD30788-793-0000013C345EE7A3.jpg

Sounds like you might need to buy a new humidity meter (hygrometer), as yours looks more like 95%+. It just looks too wet. I use containers with a sealed lid, no holes, not sure if that would make a difference. Also DO NOT spray directly on the eggs, just wet the vermiculite and if its sealed, it should not need to be wet very often, a dripper of some sort might be better than a spray bottle. Those eggs don't look great!

Thanks for the advice. If it was too humid wouldn't the eggs be swollen or is that normal for them to have a bit of a dimple?

To wet...Also possibly to hot. I am incubating mine at 29-30 degrees. If they go above 31 it isn't good for them. As gregcranston said its really important not to get water on the eggs.. so spraying isn't a good idea.

Ok so no more spraying just wetting the vermiculite.
Ill check the temp with some different thermometers, I have the thermostat set at 30 and with a 1 degree leeway so it goes between 29-31. but my thermometer is usually reading 31.

- - - Updated - - -

Also would you say that blueish egg is done for?

I would set the the thermo for 29, so it hopefully sits around 29, 30 degrees. Yes I would say the blue egg is no good, The vermiculite when you mix it up should be damp, and stick together, but not to wet, so just be careful not to top it up with to much water.

I hope you didn't spray the eggs directly? As that could kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back