Help with problem feeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childreni_440

Reaction score
I bought a childreni a couple months ago and i was aware that he was off the tucker but this isnt the problem. I have left him alone for a month with raised temperatures. I offerd him a rat tonight and he had no interest but i decided to brain the rat and he went absoulutely nuts strikeing at it but he just didnt hold on. Do you think this is because the rat was to big and does anyone have some suggestions to get him to hold on.

Cheers Rhys

One reason it may not be eating is because it is winter. Our children's pythons rarely eat as soon as the days start getting shorter.

For some it can help to try and pull the prey item away once they have struck at it. Because the teeth are curved back this can make them penetrate better and also tends to make them fight harder to "subdue their prey". Often a couple of tugs will encourage them to throw a few coils around the prey item.

RE: Re: Help with problem feeder

I had one which a real problem but I found that she would only look at fuzzies mice. I would have to leave her in a click clack with it in a dark place overnight and she would eat it during the course of the night. If I went anywhere near her though she would go off it.

Hey there C440, is this the one you got from me? Has he eaten at all for you yet? I wouldn't be worrying yet as it is probably just a seasonal thing. My adults have gone off the food now as well. Trader, this is the little fella I got from you way back, did you ever have any trouble with him feeding? I noticed that sometimes he'd prefer a rat to a mouse but just before I sold him I put the non-feeding down to the weather and seasonal shift in Victoria.

Hey there C440, is this the one you got from me?

Yeah thats the one afro. No he has'nt eaten for me but i hav'nt tried him much since i picked him up.

I have stopped offering food to the children's pythons during winter. I stop feeding as soon as I get a "reluctant" feeding session. This is a session in which they may eat one or two food items but with not too much intertest. Experience tells me that they will refuse anything on the next session.

This year that occured a couple of months back soon after the days started getting shorter so I turned down the temperature and have not offered them food since.

Do hatchlings/juvies go off their tucker a bit too in the cooler weather? We are still keeping the temps up for them. Cheryl

Herptrader has probably hit the nail right on the head there C440. That snake is actually one of his originally :)

Re: RE: Re: Help with problem feeder

rodentrancher said:
Do hatchlings/juvies go off their tucker a bit too in the cooler weather? We are still keeping the temps up for them. Cheryl

In my experience probably not in their first year but after that yes.

Remember that all pythons are individuals so some will and some won't.

For my childreni I think the photoperiod through the window govern's this regardless of temperature and artificial photoperiod introduced by the timer.

There is a research project in here for somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back