Help with small cut on snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldestMagician

Reaction score
Hi there, I got a yearling Spotted Python about 2 weeks ago and have loved having him ever since. He gets handled every day and likes to curl up in my hat whenever he can.
Yesterday afternoon he somehow managed to get out of his tank (which I've now altered) and I think one of my cats has given him a little swipe.

He has a tiny cut about 1/3 of the way down his body, it's no more than a 1.5mmx1.5mm circle. When I picked him up and put him back in his tank he seemed fine, but when I went back after a while to give him a look over he was very snappy. I understand this and just gave him a quick once over before putting him back, that's when I saw the cut.

I haven't done anything yet because it doesn't look too bad. It's not bleeding, looks clean, and is a sort of dark pink colour, like an old wound on a person. I'm thinking of just giving it a quick clean with a saltwater mix when I get home from work but would like opinions about whether this is enough.

Apart from that he seems okay, still moving around as much as before but as I said, a little bit snappy.

Cheers

Are you sure that the injury was caused by and limited to a cat's claw? If the cat bit the snake (check for puncture wounds) it will need antibiotics, as cat bites are notoriously dangerous to wildlife.
I don't think that a saline solution is enough for any injury caused by a cat. You should have applied something stronger like antiseptic immediately after the attack but failing that I highly recommend that you apply some mild antiseptic asap. (Note: do not use undiluted Betadine solution on reptile skin).

I didn't see it happen so I can't say for sure. I found it under my computer speaker so it may have caught itself on that. It definitely isn't a bite, it's just a small, shallow hole. I'll get some antiseptic on the way home. Can you suggest one I can get from Coles/Woolies?

If your worried about it maybe take your snake to the vet? They will be able to tell you what it is, if its a cat scratch its more likely to get infected because cats like to claw everything and depending if they are cats that go outdoor then its more infection problems, my cat likes to sit there cleaning her claws and pull of the shed of her claws, she is not an outdoor cat though.

I had another look yesterday and it looks much better than it did before. I'm not convinced it is a cat scratch any more, it looks like it's caught itself a little on the corner of something and pulled a couple of scales up. I applied some antiseptic cream and I'll keep an eye on him. Thanks :)

Good to hear. It won't hurt to apply antiseptic until the wound has well and truly crusted over.
By the way, what antiseptic are you using?

Last edited:
I'm using Savlon. I did read about Neosporin (although it didn't specify not pain relief) but the chemist said it needs a prescription because it's an antibiotic? I also read Savlon had worked for people so decided to use that

I'm using Savlon. I did read about Neosporin (although it didn't specify not pain relief) but the chemist said it needs a prescription because it's an antibiotic? I also read Savlon had worked for people so decided to use that
And has the savlon worked?

Which type of Savlon are you using?
Savlon cream is good initially but Savlon powder* is better applied after a day or so, as it will help dry out the wound and crust it over, therefore sealing it (for minor wounds normally requiring a dressing).
*Savlon Antiseptic Powder 'No touch' (contains Povodine Iodine)

Just using Savlon cream. I've applied it 3 times and the wound definitely looks a lot better. Seems to be healing pretty well. I don't have any experience with reptiles but I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back