Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Packhouse06

Reaction score
Sorry if these class as newbie silly questions but as far as keeping frogs go i am green (excuse the pun) i posted this in the frogs section but more people view this thread so i thought id get a better response here

I picked up 5 new Green Tree Frog babies on the weekend and have them in a 2ftx2ftx1.2ft tank, with a heater in there water at 26 degrees. Im in Sydney and the weather is starting to cool down a fair bit now is this enough heat for them? The tank is quiet cold to touch up high on the glass sides and im worried their not getting enough heat...

Also they are about 3cm in length, iv been feeding them the pisces small crickets by putting them in the tank overnight, the crickets seem to be disappearing but havent actually seen any of them eat and the crickets could quiet easily just be escaping out the top! Are these too big for them or should i be feeding them something smaller like the baby crickets? I know its probably hard to tell but any help or thoughts are much appreciated, i love me new little guys and want them to do well!!!

get a thermometer for air temp not an aquarium one for water and see what the air temp on the land is
when sizing up their food simply look at the distance between their eyes, that should be the max size of food items

Gday Packhouse
The warmth of the water should do enough. Does you house get that cold? We generally only have a heater in the water, but my Greens are in our snake room which doest really drop below 20deg anyway. Does your tank have a canopy?? This could be usefull at night to retain some heat.
Small crickets would be fine. I would even consider giving them medium. I find it a bit strange you havent seen them eat? Our younger Greens cant get enough food! Have you tried to hand feed them? We have our frogs in a bit of a routine, we spray the tanks before feeding them. After spraying for 10 seconds or so, they come out of every nook & cranny & ready for a feed, they know its coming. Are your frogs active at night? If not perhaps it is to cold for them. You could try a basking lamp (a 40watt blue light), place it on the outside of your mesh lid but have a branch underneath it so the frogs can get up close if they wish.
soz about the size of this post!

I'm too paranoid to put a heater in the water in the tank that i have...but I have been getting worried about how cold it is... mind you I've got red eyed green frogs...but I don't think they're that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back