Helped out a snake last week in QLD, stranded on the motorway!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winter

Reaction score
Hey all..

I was a member of these forums about 5 years ago when i had a few snakes and i slowly parted with my collection due to not having the time to offer them the best possible care!

Anyway, i was driving to work early last week around 8am and if your from QLD you would be familiar with the Gateway being the worst road ever in peak hour, I noticed all the cars parted off to the side, or going very slow.. i assumed as usual it was another big accident.. but as i got closer , i noticed a very distressed and VERY large Brisbane python laying in the middle of the road, it was alive and clearly distressed at all these cars driving over it and trying to avoid running it over, it was snapping out occasionally at cars...i could not beleive no1 had atleast stopped traffic and called rspca or something to assist , anyway.. i pulled over to the side of the road as i was worried that eventually some idiot would delibrately run over it.. like alot of uneducated fools who have a problem with reptiles..

I basically approached it from behind and there was a stick i managed to grab to put abit of pressure behind its head so i could atleast pick up its back end without being bitten! cos by the size of it, it would have been a very nasty bite!! , it was so beautiful and looked very big and healthy!! 7ft+ i reckon, All the traffic stopped!! ppl got out of their cars and were taking photos of me!! lol...

anyway, once i picked it up, it was very calm.. almost happy it was being assisted to get out of there! , i wanted to take it home and release it somewhere else.. but there is a large bushland that goes on for acres on the other side, which i assume it was on its way to.. so i went for a long walk and released it in there! was definately the strangest "running late" story ive ever had to tell my boss! just before i released it, i grabbed a few photos.. ill have to upload them!! , I kept telling the mrs.. im going to be in the paper for sure!! haha, cos so many ppl took pics and seeing some random dude stand in the middle of the motorway and pick up a massive snake would be something not seen everyday!!

but one thing is for sure, ive got the bug again to get another python!! :p i forgot how amazing and beautiful it was to hold them..

anyway, sorry for the novel! i wanted to come on here straight away when i got to work but its taken a week for the dudes here to validate my acct :p

Cheers guys!

That's a good story to tell, with a happy ending. Well done!8)
I look forward to seeing some pics of the very lucky python.

P.S - Welcome back!

Awesome. I can't hardly believe so many people went around it rather than just running it over.

it's good to know that whilst they may not have pulled over or stopped the traffic and called for help, the other motorists didn't run it over.
got to love the herp induced "sorry i'm late, but..." stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back