Hemiaspis signata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well the reply is in~

Hello Amy.

As you would know, all reptiles are protected in NSW and consequently it is an offence to take any reptile from the wild for any purpose unless licensed to do so for scientific, education or conservation purposes. A licence would not be issued to authorise collection of common garden skinks, or frogs etc to be used for food for other captive reptiles, or to establish a captive colony that would be used for that purpose.

If you can legally acquire captive- bred native animals to establish a breeding colony there would be no offence under the National Parks and Wildlife Act if their progeny were subsequently used as food for other captive animals.

Many people find the feeding of whole animals, dead or alive, to other animals as repugnant and unacceptable. This is one of the major criticisms of reptile keeping. However, there is no offence committed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act if a live animal is fed to another (eg a live house mouse or a captive-bred native animal to a snake). Further, it is my understanding that there is no specific offence under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The RSPCA, NSW Animal Welfare League and NSW Agriculture, that administer the POCTA Act, are aware that live-animal feeding is widely practised by reptile keepers and it is not an issue if undertaken out of public view. However, a case for aggravated cruelty may be pursued under the general provisions of the POCTA Act if live animal feeding was performed in the public arena for entertainment purposes.You might wish to seek confirmation of this advice from the Animal Welfare Unit of NSW Agriculture on phone 02 6391 3324.

Regards,

Jeff Hardy
Coordinator Wildlife Licensing
Policy and Science Division
Department of Environment and Conservation
PO Box 1967
HURSTVILLE NSW 2220

Phone: 61 2 9585 6481
Fax: 61 2 9585 6401
Email: [email protected]
NPWS website: http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au

NPWS is part of the Department of Environment and Conservation

If you want the whole e-mail conversation (my first e-mail to this last one) just let me know I'll e-mail the whole thread to you.

OK thanks for taking so much trouble to clear that up for me, I appreciate it, not that I want the species in question i was curious is all, thanks again. I found it interesting that its not an offence to feed live, ive heard it said otherwise on aussie herp threads. You cant argue with authority , straight from the horses mouth! :D

Wattso~ Its illegal to feed live mammals in WA but insects eg: woodies etc. dont count.

Yeah I was part of that thread and we pretty much assumed it was a blanket ban on feeding live all over Aus. I guess if they cant see it, they dont know about it (or want to)

im sure i read in my license information it says there are 2 species of lampropholis (spelling?) that can be caught and used for feed (In QLD). i'll check when i get home and post exact sp. name.

NB: The offer for the e-mails that have been sent between NPWS and myself was an open invitation to whom ever wanted it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back