Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey guys,
this morning when I went to do a substrate change in my kingorum enclosure, I found one missing. The enclosure is TOTALLY ESCAPE PROOF. which leaves 3 options. A visitor to my house (there have been a few this weekend) has stolen it, A visitor to my house has taken it out of the cage and accidently dropped it and failed to tell me, or a case of cannibalsim occured. I think the second option is the most likely, as these visitors where friends that I trust, and I would like to think they would not steal off me. I have been searching in my room for them all day and no luck so far. They are very small (a bit bigger then garden skinks) and if they have gone under my door..I will NEVER find them. Does anyone have any idea's of where in my room I should be looking?
Thanks guys

have you got heat tape set up? as if any of mine escaper they always sit on the heat tape. getting into any other enclosure a possibility? just a few ideas

Try behind the fridge, they like the heat from the motor or any other places where they can get warmth from.
Don't rule out cannibalism, I have seen accies on more than one occasion kill and eat each other. Not sure if it's the same for long tailed rock monitors but being a similar species would not put it past them.
Hope you find him/her Baritji. :(

Baritji.

I have found in the past it is fairly common for small monitors to eat each other. I have seen young Trisis, Acanthurus, Storri and Gilleni all do it. Why would Kingorum be any different. Does one of your young look pleasantly plump at the present time????

It just takes one to be very hungry, and bingo, one less monitor. I also found that once a cannibal, they may stike again. Be careful and keep them very well fed to stop any hunger.

the visitors even interested in taking it? i know most ppl that come to my house won't touch a reptile!!

Hehehe yeah no herp haters allowed.

I am not sure they would steal it, but I think if they lost it they wouldnt tell me.
I just emailed Grant Husband (bred and kept them for ages) and he said cannibalism with this species is impossible. And I thought I would have had seen some signs of cannibalism anyway
I have not found it, after spending all day looking for it :(
AH well

Don't give up, take the house to peices if you have to. That can be fixed, thats why we have builders.

Set some traps... I'm sure you can think of something. Crickets in a bucket he cant climb out of, with a ramp up to it on the outside?

i lost a wood gecko once, found him 4 days later under the gap of a screen sliding door, best of luck man.

would that 'lost snake trick' thing work on a monitor?
setting a trap or somthing

I think the obvious thing to do now is to ask the people that were over if they took them out of the cage, at least then you may have an idea of where to look if they did, or you can rule it out and go with cannabilism.

Good luck Brodes, I've had the same sorta thing happen with my bluies. When they were young I had some friends around one evening. Later on that night I couldn't find one of the bluies. My enclosure was totally escape proof as it was all glass and had a hood, plus they were very small bluies. Anywhoo, I discovered the little fella under the enclosure between to slabs of polystyrene. My mates (no longer) completey denied taking him out even though they knew he was in there just before they came and he could not get out himself. You'd be surprised, one of your friends may have picked him up to have a look, only to have the monitor jump out of their hands and then your mate gets such a shock he doesn't want to tell you what happend.. Just a thought.

Dunno, a couple of the guys I have only known for six months or so..most of my friends I have had for over 8 years. Wouldnt have been them thats for sure, but those others guys.... If I asked them I doubt they would own up to it. Since I am in the bush, a possibility that was suggested by Grant Husband was a small childrens python. Which is very possible, as I have found them in my house several times previously. Oh well thanks guys, I shall keep lookin!

good luck mate hope you find it. just a bit off topic for a sec have you seen many wild olive pythons up there?

Thanks ricko..me 2 :D.

Hell yeah, they are fairly common at certain times of the year (my secret :) :p) Biggest I have seen was 12ft, which foolishly I grabbed and it ended up giving me a good chew :eek: It hurt a bit. I occasionally see them basking on the roads in the evening and early morning. Find them in termite Mounds at this time of year..well smaller specimens anyway. If I went out all night I would expect to find at least 3 or 4 olives. I find plenty more exciting things then olive pythons too!! I had a carpet python in my louvers this morning!!

I have locks on all my enclosures..However because I was going through my room showing people my herps I had them all unlocked...well let me tell you that will never be happening again! No one but me will be alowed in my room. full stop. oh....except the chicky babes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back