Herp Lover Needed Urgenly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im simply impying that i have had a lot of dealings with national parks and the rspca and when it comes to reptiles the RSPCA seem to have the final say on things. In NSW anyway.
You dont need to get defensive... IM JUST TELLING YOU THE WAY IT IS.

???

I just posted that I was interested in something you stated. Sorry but there was never any implication by you, or anyone else for that matter, that you have "had a lot of dealings with national parks and the rspca".

You did however imply some knowledge of the Film industry and the RSPCA and that was what I was interested in.

But don't worry it was just an interest and, like a bad prawn curry, it has passed. So no need to shout any more.

[SIZE=-1]Namasté.[/SIZE]
IsK

I don't understand either... sure RSPCA may have been overlooking the filming of Skippy to ensure the animals' welfare was upheld, but permits etc for film/relocation etc are issued by NPWS/DECC.

Your probably right, its mostly for the animals welfare.... But it does pertain to all wildlife activities, whether wild or captive. So they do work together (the rspca and npws) You cant get a permit from just one of them (including filming) for what reason, Ive never looked into. Whether they actually do anything or not (with all that government funding) is prob another story.

Your probably looking at a few Long neck turts, a few eastern blueys, a golden crown or two, the odd passing RBB, and waterskinks plus the usual 3 - 5 sp of frog that are common in the area. They will not let any un-insured person on the site full stop, and these days you can't blame them.

the local populations of animals in surrounding area- ie the royal- have been decimated by repeated bushfires and feral cats and thousands of herpers- grabbing the animals from these brick works ,that seem to have been overlooked by illegal poachers, and releasing them into the surrounding bush land that has bugger all indigenous animals left is not going to hurt imo. Releasing extra animals into an area of "untouched" bush that has an already stable balance of animals is going to cause problems described in other posts- putting a few "longnecks" and a couple of water dragons into an eco system that is heavily affected by humans, with well less animals than it could theoretically support ,for me seems to be a good idea.

Realistically the animals that do get released will most probably only end up in illegal collections in the outer suburbs of sydney within a couple of weeks any way- becuase the rate at wich reptiles and plant species are being pilfered is absloutly astonishing. the royal,heathcote np as well as menai and kurnell have served as sydneys unofficial reptile shop for years- and the rate this hobby is groing is only making it worse, the reptiles were safer when it was only "weirdo's" who kept them.

:DWell im glad that Ive got you all talking but why are so many people given me greaf??:?
This area has an untouched gene pool that would be vital in helping restock local areas after bush fires. please check it out on google earth. :shock:its on the corner of the princess hwy 6 lanes & oak rd & flora st. THE MACHINES ARE COMING SOON:evil::evil::evil:

WELL WELL WELL. Just had a quick sticky & low & behold 2 x swap snakes, countless water skinks, 3 x blue tounges, short & long neck turtles, bloddy koi carp. & thats after a good storm & took only one hour. SO what do you reckon people.

;) Good on you tittezzz.I say get your facts, know the legalities of what you are doing & go get 'em. If I lived near you, I'd be right with you. The RSPCA aren't interested in saving natives.:rolleyes: It is only interested in high publicity fund raising incidents. Contact National parks & keep on knocking till someone listens. Good luck. I'm with you in spirit if not in body! ;)

:DWell im glad that Ive got you all talking but why are so many people given me greaf??:?
This area has an untouched gene pool that would be vital in helping restock local areas after bush fires. please check it out on google earth. :shock:its on the corner of the princess hwy 6 lanes & oak rd & flora st. THE MACHINES ARE COMING SOON:evil::evil::evil:

Australian ecosystems have evolved over tens of thousands of years of frequent fires. They have always done so by using the survivors of the local populations, and this is extremely important. If an area is burned, the animals most able to cope with fire are the ones which survive. These breed, and when the next fire comes through, the animals are well adapted to deal with it. If we remove this form of natural selection, evolution is being hindered and populations are less strong. Additionally, the introduction of animals from 'untouched' (presumably isolated) gene pools is unnatural, and potentially damaging to evolution for a range of reasons; the animals in each population are adapted to their local environment, not another environment (I won't get into it in any more detail as it would take a lot of space and result in me being further accused of being a good potential secretary and looking great in mini skirts and high heels).

I appreciate that you want what is best for reptiles, but please understand that what is best for reptiles is for people to keep out of the way. The populations in question are doomed, we can not change that. Introducing animals from that area into another area will only increase the damage by harming the populations which we do have the ability to leave alone.

ic ur point BUT

Australian ecosystems have evolved over tens of thousands of years of frequent fires. They have always done so by using the survivors of the local populations, and this is extremely important. If an area is burned, the animals most able to cope with fire are the ones which survive. These breed, and when the next fire comes through, the animals are well adapted to deal with it. If we remove this form of natural selection, evolution is being hindered and populations are less strong. Additionally, the introduction of animals from 'untouched' (presumably isolated) gene pools is unnatural, and potentially damaging to evolution for a range of reasons; the animals in each population are adapted to their local environment, not another environment (I won't get into it in any more detail as it would take a lot of space and result in me being further accused of being a good potential secretary and looking great in mini skirts and high heels).

I appreciate that you want what is best for reptiles, but please understand that what is best for reptiles is for people to keep out of the way. The populations in question are doomed, we can not change that. Introducing animals from that area into another area will only increase the damage by harming the populations which we do have the ability to leave alone.
It seems such a waste of perfectly good herps.

Anyone got any good links or contact numbers for rspca in southern sydney?? I got the reptile rescue number but any more out there ??????:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
To fully understand the situation you really need to spend a few months studying population ecology. The short version of the story is that nature establishes a balance, the reptiles in a population increase in number until the available system can not support any more (the same applies to most types of animals). If you add more, the system can't support them, the balance is tipped, and problems occur. The type of problems depends upon the nature of the system. There are countless possibilities. Best case scenario would be something like a lack of shelter sites, resulting in the reptiles not being able to hide properly, resulting in migratory birds eating them and flying away, leaving the system as it was previously. A likely outcome is that there would not be enough food to support them all, so none of them are properly nourished and while the population remains high, it is made up of undernourished adults which don't reproduce well - an aging, unproductive population is certainly not a good one! In some cases, this can result in the extinction of a local, isolated population. A likely outcome for some species is that they will fight over territory, leaving some animals dead anyway. A possible outcome (likely to happen, but unlikely to happen to a particularly damaging extent) is that the overabundance of a particular species will result in local predators targetting them, and continuing until there are fewer than they started with. Since the predators will most likely stop targetting them soon after they go back to the normal threshold level, it's most likely to basically nullify the relocation effort (best case scenario), although it could be worse. I could go on and on and on, but you get the idea.

Other than the fact that it is absolutely inevitable that the reptile populations will return to their original level one way or another (assuming they aren't wiped out), so there is nothing to be gained, there are concerns about the spread of disease and inappropriate genetics. Whenever people interfere, there are all sorts of risks involved. I am not saying it is best to leave them to be bulldozed because I am heartless, I am saying it because I care enough to have spent many years studying the issue.

Although the uniformed public typically love them, animal releases almost always cause harm and rarely do any good. The only time animals should be released is when a population has been exterminated or severely reduced, the reason for its extermination/reduction has been permanently removed and the population can be reestablished (the other time is when a species is under extreme thread and a population can be established outside its original range, and it is considered better to create an unnatural population at the expense of the local biological community than let the species of interest go extinct - this is extremely rarely a good idea). Releasing animals into a healthy population of their own species is always inappropriate. Sadly, because public opinion is based on emotion and a lack of understanding, animal releases are popular and often fully endorsed by the government (the government is interested in money and keeping the public happy, it cares nothing for ecology). Most of the most spectacularly problematic animal releases have been done with full government support. Fortunately, the most common outcome is simply the released animals dropping dead when released into an area which can't support them.

Keep in mind that a lengthy forum post is nothing compared to several years of studying population ecology, and the full story is much, much more elaborate.

once again sdaji you couldnt be more right :p

This is not a job for rspca or wires, neither has the authority to act without NPWS being involved

I've been through the area in question a number of times. There are all sorts of skinks in there and lots of freshwater turtles. If they were removed they could be handed in to wildlife rescue organisations like Sydney metro wildlife rescue. Saves the animals being killed.

THERE ARE ALWAYS OTHER OPTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back